what would be a good amplifier for a 2017 SE Santana for a small apartment

What would be a good amp for a 2017 SE Santana in a small apartment?

• brand

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • model

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wattage

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bob7

What would be a good amp choice for an old guy playing a 2017 SE Santana in a small apartment?

I had the Blackstar Core ID:20 and replaced it with a Yamaha THR10. The Yamaha sounds much much better, albeit at over 2x the cost. I also feel the Yahama's controls are easier to use, it allows for battery use, and is even more portable and better built than the Blackstar.

If cost is a major concern, the THR5 is $100 less than the THR10 and is very similar, with a few of the bells and whistles missing.

Not sure the rules on promoting sites here, so I will be vague. I was able to find the THR10 on a well-known online retailer's site at the normal $300 price, but it included the carry case, which usually sells for about $30-$35 alone.

The yamaha THR is a modeling amp. One of the better apartment modeling amps on the market, According to what I hear on YouTube and read. You can emulate a lot of different amplifiers with it. It also has Bluetooth I believe and some other cool bells and whistles.

There are low wattage blackstar all-tube amps that I also like. I own one, the blackstar HT5R. Tube amps are traditionally preferred to modeling and solid state amps but there are some rare modeling amps that are doing very well; THR included. The gain, distortion and crunch in tube amps is a product of driving the "tubes" really hard. It's generally considered smoother and more preferable to solid state and modeling amps. Tube amps are also more responsive to dynamic playing, like picking harder to create a louder sound. They are also supposedly a little warmer. It's a combination that is nearly impossible to replicate. Although, a lot of the newer modeling amps are doing a pretty good job.

Not all tube/valve amps are created equal. Low wattage blackstars are at the bottom of the price range but they sound very good for the price..

I say "supposedly" above because my experience with different amplifiers is limited. I'm just relaying what I have researched and experienced. I had some trouble with modeling amps, but I never tried a Yamaha THR. I hear nothing but good things about it.

You have choices. I hope I helped you with some info.

Last edited:
It also has Bluetooth I believe and some other cool bells and whistles

Just a quick correction...the THR series does not offer bluetooth. It does have an Aux line, and the THR10 model allows for separate volume control of that input (the 5 does not). Additionally, like the Blackstar Core ID series, the THR can be connected to a computer via USB.

Also +1 for looks for the Yamaha THR. It looks kind of vintage-futuristic if that makes any sense. Like mid-century modern maybe.

Depends how picky you are about good tone, what kind of music you play, and any number of other personal preferences.

I couldn't play through a solid state modeling amp and be happy for even five minutes. You may feel differently.

I'd get a low power tube amp with a good master volume, or an amp that can be switched into lower power settings, or just use an attenuator with a larger amp I like, but I'm picky.

I love my Yamaha THR10. It's the only thing I play through at home nowadays. The modeling is very good, works better for me than running my tube amps at super low volumes. I use headphones and the line-in often.

I have the THR5, and I think it is awesome and more than adequate as a practice amp. It is the same power and most of the same models as the THR10, just missing a couple of the models and the ability to store presets, in a smaller box for $100 less. I even took mine as a mini stereo system to use with my phone as a music player on vacation.

Yessir! Plus, at the 45 watt setting you could shake all the roaches outta the building. And on the 90 watt setting you could use it to stun large animals or home invaders... so it's really a health and safety thing. Isn't your family with it?

And, it’s heavy enough to offer the many benefits of weightlifting/exercise.

Of course, this is equally a benefit of keeping guitars in wooden cases, and on a different floor from one’s studio. Dragging the loaded case around the house is a cardio workout.

Never underestimate the many joys of heavy objects!

Boss Katana. I run it cranked at 0.5 watts, but it goes to 50 or 100 if I want.

The 50watt Katana is the best buy for the buck, and is about 3/4 of the size of the 100watt, so is surprisingly small (and light) in the room. It has a slightly smaller speaker magnet and no effects loop.

You get more with these new boss amps - the tech has come along in just a few short years, I had a THR10 and loved it but the katana is more like a real amp, plus has loads of boss pedals effects included, and they can do loud as well as quiet.

The 50watt Katana is the best buy for the buck, and is about 3/4 of the size of the 100watt, so is surprisingly small (and light) in the room. It has a slightly smaller speaker magnet and no effects loop.

You get more with these new boss amps - the tech has come along in just a few short years, I had a THR10 and loved it but the katana is more like a real amp, plus has loads of boss pedals effects included, and they can do loud as well as quiet.
It also takes additional pedals well, if you need. It feels more like a real amp than my Mustang did.

Back