What is the difference between Silver Sky SE and Core series in term of the sound?

waltuh

The pickups seem to have different output specs.
I can't find any comparison video or sound sample.

To me, the Core model pickups sound better. More like real early 60's Strat pickups. More authentic. I think they're great.

The SE pickups are really good too, but I hear a very slight, but springy sort of sizzle way up at the top of the treble that kept me from being 100% comfortable with their sound.

But I wanted them to sound like my '63 Strat. A real one.

So I replaced the pickups in my two SE's.

First with Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfers and then with Chubtones which have a slightly smoother, fatter sound like a '61 Strat.

When I compared the Chubtones to a CORE Silver Sky, the Chubtones were smoother and "woodier" but the CORE SS pickups seemed slightly hotter. Not by much.

Both sounded killer.

All three pickups in the Core SS are identical output. The bridge pickup is not overwound.

The same is true of the SE SS. All three have identical output.

A lot of Strat pickup sets have a bridge pickup that's wound hotter than the neck and middle pickups.

The Silver Skys do not.

They sound more like the pickups you'd find in a 60 year old Strat.

To me, the Core model pickups sound better. More like real early 60's Strat pickups. More authentic. I think they're great.

The SE pickups are really good too, but I hear a very slight, but springy sort of sizzle way up at the top of the treble that kept me from being 100% comfortable with their sound.

But I wanted them to sound like my '63 Strat. A real one.

So I replaced the pickups in my two SE's.

First with Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfers and then with Chubtones which have a slightly smoother, fatter sound like a '61 Strat.

When I compared the Chubtones to a CORE Silver Sky, the Chubtones were smoother and "woodier" but the CORE SS pickups seemed slightly hotter. Not by much.

Both sounded killer.
So despite the difference in output, they sound close except for the (for the lack of better term) presence?

Different but good is what I hear , The Core is a bit warmer or rounder sounding the SE is a bit brighter (tho I have limited time on the SE)
On the SE I tended to go more for the Neck pickup and the in-between on the neck middle as the bridge like most fenders is a bit bright ( fixed with rolling the tone down ) but that leaves the middle being bright compaired to the bridge ( for me )
On the Core I use the middle and bridge more as they are the best sounding middle and bridge single coils I have ever heard :)

Back