What are the different variations of 85/15 and 58/15?

dilznik

I’ve seen MT, TM, LT, maybe others. What are all the acronyms and what do they mean?

MT is Multi-tap - I have 58/15 MT's in my Special as Bryan Ewald states (@1.10)

LT is Low Turn - the 594/HBii's have these as Bryan states (@2.03)

TCI stands for Tuned Capacitance & Inductance and is a 'process' applied to all Pick-ups from 2020 onwards. There are also Pickups 'named' TCI (as used in Paul's Guitar) which were newly designed pups for Pauls guitar and first to use the TCI process so were named after that. This can get 'confusing' as some may say 'TCI' pups when they maybe 58/15, 85/15 etc that have had the TCI process applied and of course, there is the TCI 'S' pups - that I don't know if they have had the TCI process applied or are 'regular' Pups wound to get 'close' to the US version for their SE models - they are also a traditional size compared to the US more narrow versions. I would expect they are 'named' after the US Pups but not been through the TCI process - the JM635 'S' too is a different build design to the US versions so I assume that they are trying to get as close to sounding like the US versions without having to train staff and implement the TCI process to their 'overseas' manufacturers - and probably wouldn't want their methods/technology to fall into competitors hands.

Most PRS video's do explain what any 'letters' mean - the 'numbers' are quite easy to understand - the first two 58, 85, 57 etc are the 'era' of Humbucker they were inspired by and/or offering - the second sequence pair are the year they initially released /08 (2008), /15 (2015) but they have created variations - such as the Low Turn or Multi-tap Variant and since 2020, go through the TCI process...

Hope that helps :)

What are these TM ones?

58/15 LT are low turn so they’re wound less and lower output, right? I have a pair in a 24-08 Wood Library and the bridge one is kind of gutless. There’s no sustain at all. I have the 35th anniversary C24 with 85/15 and like it. I was thinking of replacing the bridge 58/15 with either an 85/15 or maybe 59/08. How would those compare? This would be used for rock.

What are these TM ones?

58/15 LT are low turn so they’re wound less and lower output, right? I have a pair in a 24-08 Wood Library and the bridge one is kind of gutless. There’s no sustain at all. I have the 35th anniversary C24 with 85/15 and like it. I was thinking of replacing the bridge 58/15 with either an 85/15 or maybe 59/08. How would those compare? This would be used for rock.

TM stands for Trademark - 85/15's are 'trademarked' so no other manufacturer can make '85/15' Pups (certainly not call them 85/15) - unless they have permission/licence to do so.

There's also the 58/15LT+, which are only in the core McCarty 594 Singlecuts. The additional wood mass affects the tone of the guitar, so the "+" variations are tuned to be slightly brighter and a touch louder than the traditional LT pups used in the doublecuts

There's also the 58/15LT+, which are only in the core McCarty 594 Singlecuts. The additional wood mass affects the tone of the guitar, so the "+" variations are tuned to be slightly brighter and a touch louder than the traditional LT pups used in the doublecuts
Now I understand we are talking Core guitars here ...

But this thing about the mass of the guitar affecting the performance of the pickup ... (I know , that's a "Duh" for the cognoscenti)

But that may explain why in the S2 Mc Carty 594's with the "s" versions of the pickup ...

That people with 594 Thinlines and SE Hollowbodies like the 58/15S better than folks with the S2 594 DC's and SC's , which are waay more massive guitars ...;)

Back