Weird harmonic added by amp...?

You can run an 8 ohm cab on the 4 ohm out, you just shouldn't run a 4 ohm cab on the 8 ohm out. The cab should always be equal to or greater than the number on the amp.

So if my cabs are indeed 4 ohms, then that may definitely have been the problem. (discontinuity) Okay, just checked (on Sweetwater, PRS doesn't list impedances), both the 4x10 and the 2x12 are 8 ohm nominal. So that should not have been the problem. But if there's something wrong with the 8 ohm jack (what could that possibly be -- transformer?), then I can take two of them and run them on the 4 ohm jacks, yes? (Assuming it's just the jack -- if it's some sort of impedance issue, just running one 8 ohm cab off of the 4 ohm jack should yield the same results he gets. I bet that was an 8 ohm cab (it was a Marshal 4x...er, something, slant, so probably 4x12. (discontinuity) Yeah, just checked all the Marshall cabs at that store are 8 ohm nominal.

I'm going to sleep on it. But I really don't need it.

Last edited:
So if my cabs are indeed 4 ohms, then that may definitely have been the problem. (discontinuity) Okay, just checked (on Sweetwater, PRS doesn't list impedances), both the 4x10 and the 2x12 are 8 ohm nominal. So that should not have been the problem. But if there's something wrong with the 8 ohm jack (what could that possibly be -- transformer?), then I can take two of them and run them on the 4 ohm jacks, yes? (Assuming it's just the jack -- if it's some sort of impedance issue, just running one 8 ohm cab off of the 4 ohm jack should yield the same results he gets. I bet that was an 8 ohm cab (it was a Marshal 4x...er, something, slant, so probably 4x12. (discontinuity) Yeah, just checked all the Marshall cabs at that store are 8 ohm nominal.

I'm going to sleep on it. But I really don't need it.
Honestly, I'd email PRS. They sometimes offer things one might not think to try. Tell them what you've tried so far.

Yeah, I was in there yesterday picking up my PRS 24/7 from a pup swap, and there it was, for sale already, and I got wistful. Might still buy it back. I will definitely work with PRS custserv if I do, they've been great.

That is a bummer of a situation. I use a lot of tube gear in my home audio rig and have had good luck with using tube dampers on the tubes themselves. They tend to get rid of weird harmonics caused by vibrations within the tube bottle itself. I do not want you to throw good money after bad but something to look into.

I am familiar with tube dampeners, but hadn't thought of that in this context, thanks for the reminder. I might even have a friend who could loan me some just to see if it solves the problem.

Back