Wait - Was @Markie Right?

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Just 20 miles downstream from the Key Bridge, and on the same shipping lane, is another that's bigger, longer, older and busier. And it's earned the tag - the scariest in America.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is actually two. One bridge, for two lanes of traffic, was built in 1952. A second, with three lanes, was added in 1973.

My wife is not a fan of this bridge, especially that big turn. The first time I crossed it, I hated it - not because of the length, height, or turn, but because there were steel grates that ran parallel to the road surface right where you right tires (sorry Alnus, tyres) ran, and those things were slippery when they were dry. Wet, they were like ice. But those have since been removed, and I love going across that bridge now. (I mean, it doesn't hurt that paradise is just past the eastern end of the bridge!)

13286r.jpg

I’ve only been across it once, in 2018. Not a fan. The trip to Stevensville wasn’t bad, but the trip back across was not to my liking. It’s the open sided barriers that freaked me out. Next time, I’ll take the long way around and get to Stevensville from the East.

My wife is not a fan of this bridge, especially that big turn. The first time I crossed it, I hated it - not because of the length, height, or turn, but because there were steel grates that ran parallel to the road surface right where you right tires (sorry Alnus, tyres) ran, and those things were slippery when they were dry. Wet, they were like ice. But those have since been removed, and I love going across that bridge now. (I mean, it doesn't hurt that paradise is just past the eastern end of the bridge!)

13286r.jpg

Apology accepted.

I never tyre of your threads.

I HATE that bridge. I have family in the Chesapeake Bay region and when we visit I have to cross that bridge. I used to be scared of driving the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, but that's VERY tiny compared to that twisting, unnerving road over the water.

I think I hate that bridge more than the Beltway, and ny family ( EC Construction) was a part of building that monstrousity...

Still not a fan..

It reminds me of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa………go over that at night, it feels like you’re going up into the clouds to Heaven, eerie feeling. It is very long and very steep.

Back when I lived in Sarasota I used to cross the Skyway nearly every week. As someone with mild vertigo (it depends on the situation) it used to semi freak me out; but I kind of got used to it in the end (after about ten years......!).

I never crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge - the only times I was anywhere near it I went straight up and straight back down 95 when going from FL to NY or Vermont. Guess I'll never see it now :(

Back