Valerie by Amy Winehouse

Moondog Wily

Howlin' At The Moon!
Here is my rendition of "Valerie" by Amy Winehouse (complete with warts and scars):

https://MoondogWily.com/audio/Valerie_2023Dec15.mp3

I LOVE playing/singing this song! Recorded live in studio yesterday (Dec 15, 2023) with no overdubs. Minimal post processing. Pretty much all of the effects on vocals and guitar are through my Axe FXIII. Guitar is McCarty 594 HBII. Vocals through Rode NTR. Cajon (with effects added in DAW) through SM7B.

Last edited:
Very cool! And you made it yours with the Moondog touch. Must have been so much fun doing it live with the minimal warts/scars.

Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, I don't know what it is, but I have zero interest in ever sounding exactly like the original artist or playing it exactly like they did ;~)) When i start playing a song, certain things just happen and I start feeling "No, I want to play it like this" because it sounds better to me! Then of course, there is the ad libbing on lyric bits that just happen and change in every performance of the song. Just having soooooo much fun playing these songs that I know and love so much but never took the time to express with my own voices!! Thanks for the kind words!!!

Another one I have been having a LOT of fun with making my own is "Angry" off of the new Rolling Stones album! I swear I feel this song was written for me to cover (he he)! Soon to come is "House Of The Rising Sun" by the Animals and "Get It On" by T. Rex!! New original song ("Midnight Noon") and video pretty much done, just waiting on some feedback from lifelong musician friends before I release it!

Nice one MW.

Funny thing is the original by the Zutons, is quite far from the Ronson/Winehouse version.
I did not know that was not her original! I will have to research that!! I like to know who gets the true credit for stuff and want to be accurate so thanks for pointing that out, I will give it a listen ;~)) And of course, thanks for the kind words ;~))

Nice one MW.

Funny thing is the original by the Zutons, is quite far from the Ronson/Winehouse version.
Wow, just checked out the video and I dig it! Amazing how close the female in the video looks quite a bit like Miss Winehouse!! I agree though, definitely a different version in every way!!! I think I still prefer the bluesier version, but awesome to hear the original, thanks again ;~))

I have been having a LOT of fun with making my own is "Angry" off of the new Rolling Stones album!
Best thing from them this century! Classic Keef riff, love both the bridge.

Looking forward to the accompanying AI video/stills with Moondog writhing on the back of an old Mercedes SL on Sunset Blvd. :cool:

Last edited:
I did not know that was not her original! I will have to research that!! I like to know who gets the true credit for stuff and want to be accurate so thanks for pointing that out, I will give it a listen ;~)) And of course, thanks for the kind words ;~))

A common misconception as Ronson’s version became a mainstream hit.

Back