Upgrading my 2006 CE22 tuners and pick ups.

tip

Hi,
I have a fine 2006 CE 22 that I am looking for direct replacement higher ratio tuners. Please recommend.
Does not have to be from the expensive PRS family but no new holes. I like 18:1.

Also this one came with some nice McCarty pickups. But I am wondering about an upgrading recommendation from you folks. Looking for better single coil type articulation.
At home I have a PRS core set of SC-245. Would that be worth an install?
Or another PU that will give me some great in between strat sounds.

It's hard to beat Phase II keys. There aren't many options for tuners with the same mounting tab. The Schaller M6 mini (which the PRS keys are based on) are 14:1. Hipshot has a 16:1 set that matches, or you could do their open back 18:1 with their universal mounting plate.

I have the 18:1 Hipshots on a guitar, but I don't have any issues with 14:1. I think the key is a smooth rotation. Just a little tweak of the screws that hold the tuner buttons on can change the feel remarkably.

I'm not sure the SC245 pups will differ enough to make it worth a swap for the McCarty pups. Maybe look for something low-medium output with A5 magnets and no covers for better articulation.

Thanks for your INFO. I will adjust the tuner screws. I found the top E<A<D string tuner screws top be a little loose on the locking mechanism.
Better.
I also am using a new PRS trem arm other than the stock one that came with it.
I got it from my case candy of my fixed bridge CU22. It lowers the trem tip height a good 1/2". Way better.

I am selling my CU22 but I will miss those 57/08's. But not the W/T neck with the black, sticky finish, yuk.

I am wondering about getting some 57/08's for this bolt on 2006 CE22?
Will they sound different in this 7.5 lb bolt on maple neck and maybe it's not worth the effort?

Any of the 5x/xx pick ups are cool for split tones. I have a Cu22 with 53/10's but these are rare. My CE24 has a 57/08 and 59/09 and it is the go to guitar. Very articulate in HB and tapped modes. It is 93 so has an alder body. I have not really tried the newer 58/15 and 85/15 but believe the 85/15's have had the best reviews.

My 97 ce24 has 5708s with splits on vol and tone pots..fabulous guitar. I play it a lot. I put 5310s in an all mahogany CE22 and they really sound good too. It has rotary switch.

I have another 97 ce22 with dragon 1s and rotary switch. It is a rock n roll love factory!

Would anyone think switching my Quatro's too articulate 53/10's for 57/08's would ruin any resale on the Quatro?
I want to sell my CU22 just because at my old age I now need the .051" fret height.
I play mostly clean tones and the Quatro's pick ups are unforgiving to any miscues along the way.
Plus I love the 57/08's split tones!

Thanks Garrett, I had a 95 CE22 that had the Dragons and it was one I wish I never sold.
I am going to give my TGP, Reverb and CL ads another week and then I am going to bust the move to 57/08's on my Quatro.
My 2006 CE22 will be fine with the USA McCarty's.
I really appreciate all the info.

I am still on the look out for an unfaded purple mid 90's Wide / Fat PRS.One color I love and never had.
I remember my old 1995, wide fat neck, was chunky perfection.

Tip, you find 53/10's very articulate? That stands to reason as they were designed to replicate the twangyness of a early Tele. I like them as I found D2's really dull compared to 53's. Each to his own:D

I thought about that. I have a AC booster, and a few other low gain pedals that will warm up the sound. Maybe if should think of these pickups as a tele, bright, cut thru the mix, sound?
I have a Michael Tuttle tele that covers my tele sounds. I still haven't tried the 53/10's with distortion so maybe a boost, transparent OD pedal, which I have many, will help?
I would love to hear your all mahogany with them. I am getting kind of over the flamed maple tops at this point.

Which guitar would you put therm in?
Just curious...?

After I just wrote I decided to heed your advice and see what Paul and staff were trying to do emulating the crystalline bite of a tele.
I got out and approached the luxury liner (that's what I call my rosewood neck Quatro) and instead of the usual stuff I played some tele - prebend, double/triple stop, major penatonic . . . mayhem .....and it was really fun!
Gush, you inspired me and now I might sell my Tuttle. But this fancy PRS sure doesn't look like a tele : )
Anyway there's a small chance I might sell the 53/10's, which I will PM you with later.
They do not have the warmth for my indie, delay modulation stuff that the 57/08's have.
When you play my two PRS'es in sequence the CU22 (57/08's) sounds so much more lush. Guess my ear favors the darker humbucking setup from my ex LP days?

Which guitar would you put therm in?
Just curious...?

After I just wrote I decided to heed your advice and see what Paul and staff were trying to do emulating the crystalline bite of a tele.
I got out and approached the luxury liner (that's what I call my rosewood neck Quatro) and instead of the usual stuff I played some tele - prebend, double/triple stop, major penatonic . . . mayhem .....and it was really fun!
Gush, you inspired me and now I might sell my Tuttle. But this fancy PRS sure doesn't look like a tele : )
Anyway there's a small chance I might sell the 53/10's, which I will PM you with later.
They do not have the warmth for my indie, delay modulation stuff that the 57/08's have.
When you play my two PRS'es in sequence the CU22 (57/08's) sounds so much more lush. Guess my ear favors the darker humbucking setup from my ex LP days?

I could possibly put them in my McCarty. OR my next prs. The possibilities are endless!

Back