Updated List of PRS Pickup Specs

The 2011 Artist V model, has it's own pickups with writing on the covers "Artist V'

Anyone know what they actually are? Or anything about them?
No idea, but they're freaking amazing. They're like the best aspects of the 57/08, 59/09, and 53/10 all wrapped up into one pickup.

I'll add the Narrowields. I have a neck at 8.4, middle at 8.41, and bridge at 8.4

And inductance is 4.94, 4.85, 4.97 if anyone cares about that.

Not a lot seems to be out there on these.
Thanks for sharing that. Those inductance numbers are definitely in "hot PAF" territory. That coupled with tight and quick attack you get from the pickup design, it is no wonder these rip so hard!

I only drop in on the forum once in a while these days; resurrecting this thread again with my take on covered vs uncovered.

Do covers make humbuckers darker or brighter? Yes.
Yes, they do.

I see it this way: even high quality covers can dim a tiny bit of treble, particularly the high airiness that we love about low winds.
So, all else being the same, pickups normally seem slightly brighter uncovered - though almost imperceptibly in many cases.

But here's the thing: usually all else is not exactly the same.

After a cover's installed, screw poles usually get raised to look level with the surface of the cover. Few leave them below, flush with the slugs.
Raising the whole row of screws even slightly can make for an audible change in some humbuckers; it affects the coil balance.
Adding a cover also results in both coils and magnet being a tiny bit farther from the strings when surface height is adjusted to the same spec.
Not much, sure, but with certain pickups a mere quarter turn on the mounting screws is enough to make a difference you can hear.

A millimeter can matter.

I think those factors occasionally make a bigger difference than any treble loss from the cover itself.
It varies from one wind to another, of course. Like many aspects of tone, not always predictable.

Still, It makes sense that sometimes a pickup will actually sound brighter after being covered, while others seem to become warmer instead.
Very true.

Moving a pickup a hair away from or a hair closer to the strings changes the tone and the way the sound feels.

Same with adjustable polepieces.

Covers make a humbucker warmer.

Although part of it is the look, I think jazzers and real blues guys tend to like covered pickups because they perceive the tone as being warmer and more pleasing and not so aggressive.

Hard rockers tend to want the opposite.

Thread bump - does anyone know...:

1. specs for some of the missing early era pickups? e.g. Deep Dish, Deep Dish II, Chainsaw,
2. What alnico is used on the 408 bass and/or Paul's Guitar pickups? I've got a PG but I'm going to experiment with some mag swaps... it'd just be helpful to know what's already in there as a starting point.
3. Mag types on the 509 set are missing, (as are 513 pickups entirely, but presumably these ones are much the same minus TCI magic?)

Last edited:
Hi @Johnny Rigs
Here’s some more specs on 2 different sets of 57/08’s ..measured from the pickup wires…
2011 set….. bridge 8800 ohms……neck 8100 ohms. (From a 2011 Stripped 58)
2021 set"…..bridge 9300 ohms……neck 8400 ohms.. (From the factory)

Hi @Johnny Rigs
Here’s some more specs on 2 different sets of 57/08’s ..measured from the pickup wires…
2011 set….. bridge 8800 ohms……neck 8100 ohms. (From a 2011 Stripped 58)
2021 set"…..bridge 9300 ohms……neck 8400 ohms.. (From the factory)
Wow, more of a variance than I'd expected! I assume it's intentional, but what changed I wonder? These are machine-wound, right?

I found this on reddit tonight and thought it was interesting. The 5708 differences has been well talked about around here, but the \m/ and Tremonti being the same with a magnet tweak is the first I've read. Very interesting.

Screenshot_20231101_000045_Redditd93944f68db1f613.jpg

I found this on reddit tonight and thought it was interesting. The 5708 differences has been well talked about around here, but the \m/ and Tremonti being the same with a magnet tweak is the first I've read. Very interesting.

Screenshot_20231101_000045_Redditd93944f68db1f613.jpg
Nothing surprises me more. Tremonti bridge was dull and bland compared to a \m/ I have in now. It's more articulated, more mids (much more), and splits much better.

Nothing surprises me more. Tremonti bridge was dull and bland compared to a \m/ I have in now. It's more articulated, more mids (much more), and splits much better.
That surprises me more.. I find the Tremonti anything but dull in my Tremonti.

Back