Unreleased PRS Strat-type John Mayer

We have been collaborating with John Mayer for some time now. The guitar he has recently been playing and posted on Instagram is a prototype artist guitar we have been working on with him. We are thrilled that John is enjoying and using this guitar and continues to support PRS.
Sweet as! Can't wait to hear more!

Cool idea. Trying to find a good pic of the bridge. It doesn't look like the standard PRS bridge.

I remember this picture on PSF a while back...I had a few questions about this being an S-type guitar then (see PSF page 355). Check out the two bodies at the bottom of the front stack...maybe we're seeing one of these in the new Mayer Pics?

PSF921000-7_zpslabvspvu.jpg

I remember this picture on PSF a while back...I had a few questions about this being an S-type guitar then (see PSF page 355). Check out the two bodies at the bottom of the front stack...maybe we're seeing one of these in the new Mayer Pics?

PSF921000-7_zpslabvspvu.jpg

Good catch!

If it's going to happen, just make it a Core model.
Can't see that. Wouldn't it sorta invalidate the whole PRS vibe to essentially have what is, after all, a Strat copy as a Core model??

I guess those seeking 'mojo' would hate it if the PRS Strat were only in the entry-level line. But I just can't imagine paying $2K or more for any stratocaster, regardless of what neck gets bolted onto it.

We have been collaborating with John Mayer for some time now. The guitar he has recently been playing and posted on Instagram is a prototype artist guitar we have been working on with him. We are thrilled that John is enjoying and using this guitar and continues to support PRS.
Oh good! I haven't bought a PRS guitar in, oh, about 10 days, so I think this would really help fill that void!

Joking aside, I think I would be very eager to try one of these out. Hmm, now I'm jonesing for a DC3/EG...

Oh good! I haven't bought a PRS guitar in, oh, about 10 days, so I think this would really help fill that void!

Joking aside, I think I would be very eager to try one of these out. Hmm, now I'm jonesing for a DC3/EG...

Likewise!

Can't see that. Wouldn't it sorta invalidate the whole PRS vibe to essentially have what is, after all, a Strat copy as a Core model??

I guess those seeking 'mojo' would hate it if the PRS Strat were only in the entry-level line. But I just can't imagine paying $2K or more for any stratocaster, regardless of what neck gets bolted onto it.

If it plays like a PRS, people will pay. Get the reliability and feel of a PRS into a Strat with Mayer's name involved?? (I did two question marks for you :D) It'll take off. They, the fans, LOVED the Fender model.

I totally agree. Price it in that same range as the CE, and the older discontinued Bolt-On models like the DC3, NF3, and the Brent Mason. I probably wouldn't pay more than that.

If it plays like a PRS, people will pay. Get the reliability and feel of a PRS into a Strat with Mayer's name involved?? (I did two question marks for you :D) It'll take off. They, the fans, LOVED the Fender model.
Well that's the other half of it IMO. Part of what makes the Strat what it is is how it plays. A decently set up Strat has a feel that leads you to places you might not go with a different guitar in hand. The cliche of course is "you have to fight it". There's truth to that.... but there is also magic in what you get from it.

But I just can't imagine paying $2K or more for any stratocaster, regardless of what neck gets bolted onto it.
Agreed. I'm mostly agreeing because I think/hope that PRS employees are reading these threads and using them as a barometer for what people want, what they like, etc. But truthfully, for far less than $2K, I can get high end USA made custom parts including the body, neck, and pickups, and build my own strat exactly how I want it.

I totally agree. Price it in that same range as the CE, and the older discontinued Bolt-On models like the DC3, NF3, and the Brent Mason. I probably wouldn't pay more than that.

I don't mind paying slightly more than CE prices if PRS upgrades the birds from the mother of countertop (thanks Sergio) currently used in the S2 and CE range. SE birds or dots would be preferable.

I suppose one could make the same argument about the SC594 and an LP. They'd both certainly have similarities to their inspirations, but PRS will always apply their twist.

I think it would have to hit that price to be competitive. For that money you can get the Fender American Elite or a Suhr Classic Pro. Or to John Beef's point, if you're handy you can self-build something to your personal taste and still have beer money left over.

Back