Unpopular opinion: with the 24-08, there's no longer a point for the CU24

dilznik

Yeah, that's right. I said it. The 24-08 is superior to the CU24 in every way. No goofy 5 way slider of the current one. No push-pull BS of the last one. And definitely not the garbage 5 way rotary of the original. Set a split pup and a full hum at the same time. Or don't. If you buy a CU24 over a 24-08, you're wasting your money.

Reach deep. You know it to be true.

While I may not entirely endorse your opinion I do own a 24-08, floyd and piezo. I have no plans to own a base custom 24.

Yeah, that's right. I said it. The 24-08 is superior to the CU24 in every way. No goofy 5 way slider of the current one. No push-pull BS of the last one. And definitely not the garbage 5 way rotary of the original. Set a split pup and a full hum at the same time. Or don't. If you buy a CU24 over a 24-08, you're wasting your money.

Yes there is. I am a humhum guitar guy. No need for splits on my end. Classic CU24. I however do prefer the McCarty layout over the blade switch: volume, tone and threeway toggle. Looks sleek, gives the option for splits if so wanted with push-pull, without compromise to the looks.

Nope! I love you man, but I disagree.

Here's my beloved 30th Anniversary PS Limited run CU24.

Look ma! No mini-toggles! No coil splits! Push-pull tone knob is a Sweet Switch. Phenomenal instrument. Love having it in my studio.

You can keep the coil splits, I never used them on my guitars that had them (Signature Limited, 408. Special, 594, McCarty). And the mini toggles are an interesting concept with a significant drawback: they're way too slow to dick around with in the heat of a session or gig. It's not like I haven't owned guitars with them. I speak from experience.

I have the blade switch in another PS that isn’t a CU24. Played that guitar today, sounded great! Love the blade. Much more functional and ergonomic than the slow, ungainly 3-way plus mini-toggles. Especially with clients breathing down my neck to finish faster, faster, faster!

So yeah, I'd buy a CU24 with a blade over a 24-08 any day of the week. This one's not going anywhere, either!

The 24-08 is great if you like coil splits and have lots of time/patience to mess with the toggles. I don't.

81aB0Cr.jpg

Last edited:
Nope! I love you man, but I disagree.

Here's my beloved 30th Anniversary PS Limited run CU24.

Look ma! No mini-toggles! No coil splits! Push-pull tone knob is a Sweet Switch. Phenomenal instrument. Love having it in my studio.

You can keep the coil splits, I never used them on my guitars that had them (Signature Limited, 408. Special, 594, McCarty). And the mini toggles are an interesting concept with a significant drawback: they're way too slow to dick around with in the heat of a session or gig. It's not like I haven't owned guitars with them. I speak from experience.

I have the blade switch in another PS that isn’t a CU24. Played that guitar today, sounded great! Love the blade. Much more functional and ergonomic than the slow, ungainly 3-way plus mini-toggles. Especially with clients breathing down my neck to finish faster, faster, faster!

So yeah, I'd buy a CU24 with a blade over a 24-08 any day of the week. This one's not going anywhere, either!

The 24-08 is great if you like coil splits and have lots of time/patience to mess with the toggles. I don't.

81aB0Cr.jpg
I'm having chills every time you post this picture

Problem with a 5 way blade: I’m use to a strat 5 way. I can tell where I’m at in a millesecond. The 5 way of PRS makes me pause. That’s why I prefer a simpler 3 way blade or a traditional toggle switch (McCarty’s are great). I have a feeling I’m not alone in this. A lot of guys go to PRS after starting off with fenders or similar S type setups.

I get where you’re coming from, but also disagree in the simple premise that more guitars is always better.

Personally, I own several variations of the Custom 24….the standard build with a five way blade, a previous gen 24-08 (3-way blade, two mini toggles), a 35th Anniversary (modern 24-08 configuration) and a couple custom 24 Piezos.

To me, they all have pros and cons over each other regarding switching options. But for the sake of counterpoint to your position, with the 5-way blade, I can go from two single coils (position 4) to a bridge humbucker in one movement, all in one switch. This is just one way this particular guitar works better in certain situations for me than the alternative. Now of course, this doesn’t mean it’s vastly superior or anything, as I believe they are all equally incredible guitars, but if I’m going for a certain setup or tone, it’s something that can’t be done on the 24-08.

I love the sounds of the rotary switch. The middle setting is the slug coils of each pickup in series and gives the sound of a middle humbucker that isn't there.

The #2 setting between the neck pickup and middle setting is those same two coils in parallel and that's a great strat like sound.

But I will say that I don't like using the rotary switch.

But two of my three CE22's have it because I like the sounds.

The one that doesn't have it only doesn't because the previous owner removed it.

Never played a 24-08.

Last edited:
How About A 24 With A Fixed Bridge?

How Abut A 24 With A Fat Neck. :)

Not A Fan Of Mini Toggles. Not A Fan Of Blade Switches. Not A Fan Of The Rotary Knob Pickup Selector.

Maybe I Am Hoping For A McCarty 24?
I like this a fat necked custom 24 - and I LOVE the rotary 2 + 4 on the rotary are special IMHO. I have a 408 and a SSH but I have started to grow tired of the mini switches for some reason

Not A Fan Of Mini Toggles. Not A Fan Of Blade Switches. Not A Fan Of The Rotary Knob Pickup Selector.

Maybe I Am Hoping For A McCarty 24?
I agree about the fixed bridge and fat neck.

Either/both would be fine with me!

Mine has the Pattern Regular carve; I like it a lot, actually. Reminds me of a '65 Fender neck a little*, which isn't a bad thing. But more is more! Bring on the beef!

*Unfortunately, I'm going strictly by memory here. Been a few years since I've played a '65 Strat or Telecaster. Also I'm not a Fender player, but the necks on some of the Fenders that year were pretty nice. And the Pattern Regular is pretty nice.

Nice = nice, right? ;)

They're probably nothing alike and I've simply conflated one with the other. So ignore everything I've said. :)

Last edited:
And Myles Kennedy’s model looks like a wooden paddle someone would use to remove a pizza from a brick-oven
But isn't the ability of a guitar to serve as a pizza paddle the very thing that makes it a Swiss Army knife guitar?

"It's a guitar!"

"No, it's a pizza paddle."

"Guitar!!"

"Pizza paddle!!"

"Hey, you two - stop arguing. It's a guitar AND a pizza paddle! It's two, two, two things in one!"

This of course explains the ongoing popularity of the Telecaster...

"What about the Les Paul?"

"Guitar...and boat anchor!" :)

For my tastes, PRS could stop making all of their 24 fret models and it wouldn't bother me one bit. I can play them but they are just not my preference. The 22 fret models just feel like home for me. I am not a big fan of splitting pickups. I tend to never use the splits on the guitars that I own that have them. I have completely forgotten that some of my guitars have them and have been surprised when I pull on a knob just to see and it pops up. I really love a guitar with an HSS pickup configuration. I love the sound of a true single coil in the neck and middle. That is how my Suhr became my most played guitar once I received it. I would love to have a 22 fret piezo equipped PRS with HSS pickup configuration to it. I would like to have two of them, one trem the other stop tail. I have thought about doing this with private stocks but the price has gone a little crazy for me as well as the lead times.

Back