Unexpected New Old Guild Day

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
So I had my PRS S2 Custom 22 up for sale on Craigslist, looking to finance stuff to move forward with my budding solo acoustic career. Mainly a column PA of some sort, and perhaps a preamp.

Got an email today, though asking "would you be interested in a 1980 Guild D40 built in Westerly?". Why yes, yes I would. She's in phenomenal condition for a 42 year old, and sounds amazing. HUGE neck, but very playable.

I've always had a thing for old Guilds, but have never owned one. Now I do :).

I'm not positive that I'll get along with the neck in the long run, but we'll see. Right now I'm enjoying the living heck out of her.

guild1.jpg

guild2.jpg

guild3.jpg

guild4.jpg

Mrs Aahzz is generally pretty "meh" when I bring home new gear. To be fair, I've done it rather a lot over the years. She came home last night and looked at it like "nice guitar". Then I strummed an A Minor and she said "OH!". Played a little bit and she said "Well that's just beautiful".

This guitar has clearly been played quite a bit in the 42 years that it's existed, and just sings with all of the openness one would want from a nicely aged all solid wood guitar :D.

I just put it on Craigslist because I'm not adjusting to the neck....
Kinda hard to keep up with all the comings and goings at Chez Aahzz!

When I ordered my PS acoustic, I forgot to specify the narrower neck (there was a narrower neck option on the Core models at the time). So mine came with the 'finger style' wider neck.

Still takes a minute or so for my fingers to make the transition from my electrics to the acoustic 9 years later! On the other hand, from Day One the guitar has sounded so spectacular that I'd never sell it.

Back