Unappreciated?

IKnowALittle

Been thinking lately of the most un and under appreciated rock guitarists. Tried to limit it to five, but a sixth snuck in. In my personal order, FWIW.

1. Chuck Berry
2. Angus Young
3. Alvin Lee
4. George Harrison
5. Johnny Winter
6. Eric Clapton

Just my list.

Alvin and Johnny were definitely great. Angus gets plenty of attention, but to me the unsung hero of AC/DC is Malcolm Young. That dude is a riff-writing machine!

I'll nominate Brian May. I don't know if there's a more tasteful player in rock.

Jeff Baxter
Denny Dias
Phil Keaggy
Dick Wagner
Steve Hunter
Bob Kulick
John Gatto
Mickey Marcello

Honestly, this could be a never-ending list.....

However, I'll add one off the top of my head - Mike Keneally.
Anyone who's ever seen him play live will understand....

Oh, and Greg Koch......:adore:

Unappreciated? ME! And rightly so! :laugh:

Under appreciated? Even as a metal loving teen, Stanley Jordan amazed me. I always thought he should have been a household name for his talent.

While backstage at a "Chicago" Concert, Jimi Hendrix was speaking with a member of the band Chicago, and supposedly a "Beatle" was there also. Regardless, Jimi was there to check out the guitarist of "Chicago, Terry Kath. When someone commented about Jimi's guitar prowess, he repeatedly said while pointing in the direction of Terry Kath, that Kath was the best guitarist he had ever seen and with more soul than he could ever hope for. I would say that Terry Kath, a guitar virtuoso is definitely underrated and almost forgotten along with Lonnie Mack.
So my thought would be;

Terry Kath
Lonnie Mack

I'll nominate Brian May. I don't know if there's a more tasteful player in rock.

+1 on this. Just watched most of the new "Live At The Rainbow '74" show - what a beast.

Under appreciated? Even as a metal loving teen, Stanley Jordan amazed me. I always thought he should have been a household name for his talent.

Another +1. I saw him open for Wynton Marsalis in the early 80s. I turned to the woman I went to the show with and said, "I quit." Ended up going home and trying to figure out how the hell he was doing that. I don't know how he didn't get more recognition.

However, I'll add one off the top of my head - Mike Keneally.
Anyone who's ever seen him play live will understand....

Oh, big time absolutely!!! Huge Keneally fan here. When you look at what he's done over his career - solo (including his bands here), Zappa, Satriani, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Dethklok...and keyboards for Chickenfoot??? What absolutely slays me about him (and Bryan Beller as well) is how seamlessly they can move from project to project. Mike may well be the best musician I've ever seen. He has streamed recording sessions in the past - during one, he was playing a solo and wasn't happy with the timbre of it, so he said, "Let me try it in a lower position." And then played it, first time, at full tempo - different position, different strings, different fingerings. No pause to check where everything was located or anything, he just ripped it off. Unbelievable. And I own one of his old guitars.

"Underappreciated" can be interpreted a couple different ways - underappreciated by the average person, or in guitar circles. I'll add just one with PRS ties - Davy Knowles. Unbelievably tasteful player. And gracious as well - as deserving as he is of commanding the spotlight, whenever I've seen him at Experience, he's more than willing to step back and let others shine.

Tommy Bolin.
Ronnie Montrose

The list goes on.
Terry Kath was a good call, haven't heard anyone else play like him.

Immediately jumping to mind (some others I thought of have already been mentioned):

PJ Harvey
Steve Gaines
Andy McCoy
Kim Thayill

Hi All;

I should not have said "unappreciated", it really is "underappreciated", let me add one more ... Don Felder.
Everyone has there own opinion, as it should be, but for me the most "underappreciated" guitarist in rock is Clapton.

Last edited:
We all got what you meant. Don't mind me nitpicking, I'm just a smart @ss. Wishing your dad all the best.

Back