Uhh... Is The CE Back For 2016?

Anything else, you'll make small compromises. And those compromises will either work for you, or not. But jumping to conclusions is usually foolish. I would view installing a Core or Mann trem as a very small compromise if that's what it took, and to say it's polishing a turd is downright wrong. No PRS has been a turd. Time and experience have proven that over and over.

Relaxxxx. Turd polishing is just a saying. I wasn't calling PRS guitars turds. It just means taking a cheaper guitar and modding it to a higher spec.

I'm regards to the trem. Its not a direct swap. The pivot screws are not the same thread and not an exact fit for the SE screws. They are a TAD bit looser than they should be. Most people won't even notice. But, the correct way to swap the trems is to fill and redrill new pilot holes for the new pivot screws.

These look to be Core. So buying these would be buying Core, no?
Just wanted a Core bolt-on at a reasonable price… I don't think we're saying PRS are doomed (I'm not anyway). People will buy regardless.

I think some of us are just disappointed that they look not to be the CE of old. A sort of stripped down Core. Not cheaper per se.
Not everyone will be happy with everything they release else. Those individuals just won't buy X, Y, or Z.

I won't mind too much if I can replace the S2 with Core parts but I don't think I'll be able to without some drilling.

So, lets assume the rumors are true. American Musical leaked the product pages under the direction of PRS in order to get feedback. Lets assume PRS will read this thread and take comments into consideration. My biggest gripe about these is its a reissue that actually downgrades the quality of the product from what came before it. Everything about this screams the assumption by PRS that people looking for these weren't going to spend over $2k for it. There are plenty of bolt on electrics out there that sell into the 2k and 3k range and they sell well. So, why cut corners to achieve some price point that has no evidence to support it? Give us the real deal and whatever the price is, it is. I'd pay it. Want to give us a soft case, fine. That is something I could care less about. I don't understand the birds at all. Part of what made the old CEs great was simplicity. Putting birds on a guitar that is called a "classic electric" is kinda ironic. Even if they are plastic, nice big ole white dots would be fine with me. The pickups baffle me too. A lot of guys that play the old CEs are rockers. The HFS/VB would have been a much better fit. Where the heck are the solid colors???? There is a reason that you see more figured top CEs than solid color CEs on the bay. The solid color CEs are prized way more and people hold onto them.

So, we get wind of a new model. We get some specs on it. Neither the wind nor the specs come directly from PRS.

As yet, no one has seen one, held one, smelt one or played one.

And already it's been dissected, dismissed and called a 'turd' no less...

Some will tell me it's human nature. I say to them it a disappointing bit of human nature and people should strive to do better.

I agree that it's too early to make a judgement, and I know we are speculating based on a couple of fuzzy pics and a spec sheet leaked by a dealer who might not have complete information posted but... C'mon, some of us are experiencing a whole spectrum of emotions here!

Nobody is trolling, nobody needs to settle down, and anybody who doesn't like CE's, collect CE's, buy CE's, hasn't played a CE, or who doesn't like bolt-ons in general shouldn't be concerned with those of us who do and are being whiney lil' b!tches about it.

I mean, if the worst thing you've read on the internet today is the word "turd".. Ha! C'mon, some of us are just working through some sh!t here. It's a process. :)

So, we get wind of a new model. We get some specs on it. Neither the wind nor the specs come directly from PRS.

As yet, no one has seen one, held one, smelt one or played one.

And already it's been dissected, dismissed and called a 'turd' no less...

Some will tell me it's human nature. I say to them it a disappointing bit of human nature and people should strive to do better.

In all fairness, the specs and wind did come from PRS, but are just being delivered via 3rd party. American Musical knows this stuff is under lock and key until Namm. So, its obviously with PRS blessing that the product pages were made public. So, I think some discussion and critique is fair game. Ok, so the turd remark was taken out of context and bad on my part. My apologies. But, I don't think dismissing it is out of line. From what we know, it does deviate from what we know and love about the CE. This is coming from a previous CE owner. If people are asking for something to be re-released and you give them something that isn't what they expected, then some negative feedback is warranted. Trust me, PRS WANTS to hear the good and the bad. That is how they know what people want and do not want and base their product development on that. I'm a PRS guy. I may not have 20 like some of you but 2 are in the stand right next time me. I want the CE to live up to my expectations so I can BUY IT. If its going to be 85% of what is formerly was, why would I spend my money on it?

In all fairness, the specs and wind did come from PRS, but are just being delivered via 3rd party. American Musical knows this stuff is under lock and key until Namm. So, its obviously with PRS blessing that the product pages were made public. So, I think some discussion and critique is fair game. Ok, so the turd remark was taken out of context and bad on my part. My apologies. But, I don't think dismissing it is out of line. From what we know, it does deviate from what we know and love about the CE. This is coming from a previous CE owner. If people are asking for something to be re-released and you give them something that isn't what they expected, then some negative feedback is warranted. Trust me, PRS WANTS to hear the good and the bad. That is how they know what people want and do not want and base their product development on that. I'm a PRS guy. I may not have 20 like some of you but 2 are in the stand right next time me. I want the CE to live up to my expectations so I can BUY IT. If its going to be 85% of what is formerly was, why would I spend my money on it?
Agree...very well put.

With all respect to the guys who are complaining about the trems, people were supposedly "underwhelmed" by the S2s -- that are selling well. The forums predicted, wrongly, that SEs would kill the brand 15 years ago; instead, they have done the opposite.

What you say is true, Les, though like many reading this thread, I started off thinking "hey this is way cool!" Yet as I bumbled through it, and saw the speculation about top, carve, hardware, etc, my enthusiasm diminished.

Why? I would love an updated version of my '02 CE with satin neck, phase 3 tuners, lampshades, and modern-spec PRS pickups. That guitar doesn't seem to be that, so I was disappointed.

I think PRS has been doing a very good thing by clearly distinguishing between the S2 and Core lines so far. Remember when the '07-ish Satin series of guitars flopped (those guitars may become collectors' pieces)? IMHO they flopped because they didn't live up to the "dipped in glass" expectations customers had for PRS at the time. Fast forward to today, and I think the S2 Satins will succeed because the S2 line is an established "value" brand for PRS, and today's market is better for that particular aesthetic.

This model seems to be kinda-Core, kinda-S2, and I think you can see people are confused and not reacting well to that. I think PRS would do themselves a favor by clearly communicating to the market where this guitar fits. And by staying on message about what's S2 and what's Core.

It's really too early to know for sure the exact details/specs. As mentioned before, it seems as every photo aside from the trampas green has an SE/S2 trem. But what's promising is at least there is one with what appears to be a core trem. I am totally fine with the S2 locking tuners as I think they work just fine. Let's hope these are just the computer generated images and not an exact representation of what the new CE line will be. I can totally understand the solid birds and the S2 tuners, but I'm just holding out hope that it will be a core trem w/case. Not that I think the SE/S2 trem is anything but great for the price point, but once we climb to a $2000 price range, that's one area that I feel does not need to be sacrificed. Either way, I'm very excited for these and can't wait to get my hands on one!

Last edited:
I think PRS would do themselves a favor by clearly communicating to the market where this guitar fits. And by staying on message about what's S2 and what's Core.

Here's the thing - we don't know that they aren't. Whether it'll be called S2, Core, or anything else, is an assumption, based on zero facts on how PRS will bring it to market.

That's what bugs me about this thread - it's speculation.

I just went to the AMS page that was originally linked, and the result is "ERROR PAGE." The ad is taken down by AMS. So clearly they did not have permission to post their ad from PRS.

It's amusing (and at the same time, disappointing..) to see so many people get so serious about something like this.
If PRS (or any other company) releases a new production model, and it doesn't meet your 'standards or expectations', then don't buy one. It's that simple.
Some other folks might really like said new model.
To get belligerent about it is just embarrassing yourself.

If you and enough other people desire and agree upon a new model with different features, let the company know in a mature & professional matter. If there is enough demand to make said requested model cost effective, they just might listen to you...

Of course we're speculating! That's what forums are for, innit? They're a petri dish that somebody sprinkles a little (dis?)information into, to see what happens.

More speculation: I believe in mistakes a lot more than I believe in conspiracy, so AMS probably screwed up by releasing that model info and I bet there were some phone calls from the vicinity of Stevensville between then and now.

I agree that it's far too early to make a decision on this guitar. As Les said, we don't know for sure what the final product will actually be. I remember how the SEs and S2s were dismissed out of hand before anyone had laid a hand on one.

Where I'll disagree is that I think it's fair game to complain about the component parts of the guitar that people already have experience with. I have no problem with someone saying "I won't buy this at $xxx because it has the S2 trem or tuners" - that's a fair complaint.

I followed the link and it says the page doesn't exist and I don't see them on the PRS products page. Maybe this is an early April Fools joke????

Take a giant step back on this one and forget all you know about PRS and the old CE's. If you could get a very high quality USA made guitar with a beautiful top and neck, a rock solid tremolo and some very nice pickups would you pay $2,000 for it vs. what else is out there for similar money. I think I would go for it.

I'm regards to the trem. Its not a direct swap. The pivot screws are not the same thread and not an exact fit for the SE screws. They are a TAD bit looser than they should be. Most people won't even notice. But, the correct way to swap the trems is to fill and redrill new pilot holes for the new pivot screws.
I don't agree with this, I've put a core trem on a SE and it fit perfectly. I did re-use the core screws though so maybe that's where the issue lies. Even John Mann says they're a direct swap and I'm pretty sure if anyone is going to know, he would!

Hmmm... looky what just showed up in the mail....

1096.jpg

1095.jpg

Back