Two versions of custom 24

Paresh

I'm going to buy a custom 24, my first PRS. I see there's an elephant gray model with different coil tap switching. I think it must be a discontinued build of the current custom 24 that has just a three-way pickup switch and a push pull pot. Any idea which of those is better? Thanks!

There are two different S2 Custom 24 models currently available, which match the current Core models. The S2 "Custom 24" has a 5-way switch providing 5 different pickup combinations/tones. The S2 "Custom 24 08" is wired with a 3-way switch and 2 individual mini-toggles, each flipping the mode of each pickup from HB to SC, so you get 8 different pickup combinations/tones.

The current CE 24 has a 3-way and push/pull tone pot for 6 different pickup combinations/tones, which the SE Custom 24 low end also has. There is also an SE "Custom 24 08" as well on the low end that matches the wiring of the Core & S2 models.

So it's not a question of better/worse, its a matter of pickup splitting/combining options that differ with the 3 wiring schemes.

One more question - I'm comparing these 2 guitars & I see slight differences in specs, but I can't picture if that makes any practical difference in playing. Any ideas? thanks.

The 24-08 in your comparison is a newer version of the guitar and it has the US electronics in it, pickups, pots and wiring.

I'm going to buy a custom 24, my first PRS. I see there's an elephant gray model with different coil tap switching. I think it must be a discontinued build of the current custom 24 that has just a three-way pickup switch and a push pull pot. Any idea which of those is better? Thanks!

Hi!
I currently play an S2 Custom 24 too. They just released a new version with 5-way switch. The older version (that I have) has a 3-way switch and push-pull tone knob. The newer ones also have USA electronics and pickups, the older ones have the same electronics and pickups as the SE-line. So they have actually upgraded the S2-line.
Have a nice day!

Last edited:
I've got a 10th Anniversary S2 Custom 22 which is the same as the normal 2024 revised S2 Custom 24 and I have a Core 35th Anniversary Custom 24 which is the same as the pre-2024 Custom 24-08 revision, so same pickups between my S2 and my Core. Given the choice between the two, I think I prefer the 24-08 switching...the split neck pickup sounds fantastic. That said, the in-between tones on the S2's 5 way selector are also great. A few years back, I also had an S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow with the 3-way blade and the push pull tone, I must say of the three control patterns, I find that to be my least favorite.

I've got a 10th Anniversary S2 Custom 22 which is the same as the normal 2024 revised S2 Custom 24 and I have a Core 35th Anniversary Custom 24 which is the same as the pre-2024 Custom 24-08 revision, so same pickups between my S2 and my Core. Given the choice between the two, I think I prefer the 24-08 switching...the split neck pickup sounds fantastic. That said, the in-between tones on the S2's 5 way selector are also great. A few years back, I also had an S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow with the 3-way blade and the push pull tone, I must say of the three control patterns, I find that to be my least favorite.
I prefer the 3-way switching the best. But for me, it would be better with a push-push knob instead of a push-pull knob.

Precisely why I don't like the three way with the push-pull, it's a little tough to pull it up to split the pickups, especially if the digits are a little schweddy.

Back