two-piece vs. one piece stoptails on PRS

CatStrangler

PRS Enthusiast
I'v never spent a lot of of time with the the piece bridge on PRS. Any thoughts on the differences for those that have?

The two piece, being anchored at four different points on the wood, as opposed to two, vibrates the wood a little differently, and I'd think that the other differences in the way the hardware itself transfers vibration matters too.

My experience with both makes me inclined to believe that the 2 piece produces a woodier, and more vintage, tone.

In terms of apples-to-apples comparisons, I've had 3 Singlecuts with the one-piece, and 4 Singlecut models with the two-piece. But the fly in the comparison ointment is that the SCs with the one-piece had 25" scale length and different pickups.

Nonetheless, this is the conclusion I've drawn, based partly on the amplified tone, and partly on the way the guitars sounded played unplugged.

Also I've probably had 15-18 non-SC PRS with the one piece bridge, I'm very familiar with guitars equipped with one.

Thanks Les, I think I'm not sure I always understand what people mean by terms like "woodier" and "vintage". One piece and two piece bridges have been used since the dawn of Gibson's solid body electrics, so for me the term "vintage" is a little elusive. If you can bear with me Les, Can you tell me your thoughts regarding the ASD envelope and string feel of the two bridges and even frequency emphasis? I know what my opinions are on the one piece, but don't want to contaminate anyones thoughts by saying them and I am certainly familiar with TOM bridges, but the PRS version looks different enough to me where I would be hesitant to draw a lot of conclusions based on my previous experiences with other types of two piece arrangements I may get a chance to ask the PS team soon, but I think it is also good to hear from regular players. Thanks in advance for any input, Phil

There are quite a few people who prefer the one-piece bridge with wrapped strings. I never understood it until I got my SC245. I find the bridge to be comfortable for my hand and also it seems to have a little more give with the strings, so a little bit slinkier feel. I can't really explain it, but I noticed it right away. I can understand why the two-piece might have a woodier tone, as the strings are more anchored to the wood, but the slippery feel of the one-piece bridge is really nice, and I'm not so much of a tone-chaser, as my ear is not that great. I just like to turn up and play my *** off such that the smile has to be removed surgically afterwards.

It's great that PRS offers both.

It's great that PRS offers both.

I think so too. I have lots of great things to say about the one piece, particularly the "Paul's" bridge. But I think on the 594 model, Paul might be on to something, and I am in intelligence gathering mode for a mission :)

I don't notice a difference in tone on the one-piece vs. adjustable one-piece, but the adjustable one does help with intonation on larger guage strings.

I agree with Les on the tone differences, but, like Les, there are more factors in play with scale length and pups. In terms of feel, when I got my first two-piece PRS, it played so much more comfortably to me. I remember posting on a forum how much lower the action felt...when it was actually slightly higher.

Both are really comfortable, and the tone difference isn't that significant unless you are switching back and forth...to me, though, it comes down more to the fact that a single cut just looks better with a two-piece and a double cut needs one.

Thanks Les, I think I'm not sure I always understand what people mean by terms like "woodier" and "vintage". One piece and two piece bridges have been used since the dawn of Gibson's solid body electrics, so for me the term "vintage" is a little elusive. If you can bear with me Les, Can you tell me your thoughts regarding the ASD envelope and string feel of the two bridges and even frequency emphasis? I know what my opinions are on the one piece, but don't want to contaminate anyones thoughts by saying them and I am certainly familiar with TOM bridges, but the PRS version looks different enough to me where I would be hesitant to draw a lot of conclusions based on my previous experiences with other types of two piece arrangements I may get a chance to ask the PS team soon, but I think it is also good to hear from regular players. Thanks in advance for any input, Phil

For "woody" I might substitute the word, "growl," or even "bark." But the words describe a midrange emphasis and resonance. If one might use a formant as a comparison, more "aw" than "ah" or "eee."

I don't notice an ADSR envelope difference between these bridge types.

I think any feel difference is mostly a setup variable, although a 2 piece allows for a reduction or increase in string tension by adjusting the height of the bottom part of the bridge without having to change the height of the bridge itself.

For "woody" I might substitute the word, "growl," or even "bark." But the words describe a midrange emphasis and resonance. If one might use a formant as a comparison, more "aw" than "ah" or "eee."

I don't notice an ADSR envelope difference between these bridge types.

I think any feel difference is mostly a setup variable, although a 2 piece allows for a reduction or increase in string tension by adjusting the height of the bottom part of the bridge without having to change the height of the bridge itself.

Thanks Les, I think I have a better handle on your meaning now.

I don`t have any two piece. I seem to prefer to put Schroeder adjustable bridges and locking studs on mine. I do have a Mira with a one piece. I ended up putting Schroeder locking studs on that one also. Something about the sound and the midrange......

Definitely a looser feel on the two-piece...

The midrange emphasis is higher on the two-piece for sure. It's much more in Les Paul territory than the one-piece. I'm not so sure this has much to do with the wood but rather having more spots for energy to dissipate from the string through the metal, and the way that "filters" through to the pickups just means it sounds fatter.

The specific pickups you have will obviously influence this, my experience is with 57/08s on singlecuts, but those vary quite a bit from piece to piece as well.

Definitely a looser feel on the two-piece...

The midrange emphasis is higher on the two-piece for sure. It's much more in Les Paul territory than the one-piece. I'm not so sure this has much to do with the wood but rather having more spots for energy to dissipate from the string through the metal, and the way that "filters" through to the pickups just means it sounds fatter.

This has been my perception as well, but I haven't lived with a two piece or played enough examples to be sure. This is very helpful input.

I agree, that must play a role. But don't forget that pickups are microphonic (which is why they feed back), not just magnetic sensors. I think they do pick up sound waves from the wood, and of course, the wood as well as the metal affect the periods of the strings' vibration.

The two piece, being anchored at four different points on the wood, as opposed to two, vibrates the wood a little differently, and I'd think that the other differences in the way the hardware itself transfers vibration matters too.

My experience with both makes me inclined to believe that the 2 piece produces a woodier, and more vintage, tone.

In terms of apples-to-apples comparisons, I've had 3 Singlecuts with the one-piece, and 4 Singlecut models with the two-piece. But the fly in the comparison ointment is that the SCs with the one-piece had 25" scale length and different pickups.

Nonetheless, this is the conclusion I've drawn, based partly on the amplified tone, and partly on the way the guitars sounded played unplugged.

Also I've probably had 15-18 non-SC PRS with the one piece bridge, I'm very familiar with guitars equipped with one.
Old post but I am going thru this now.

I will say out of the one piece and two piece bridges I've owned, the woodiest and guitar with the most growl has been my SC250 with adjustable wraparound bridge, even more than my Les Paul's.
So I find there are too many variables to draw a conclusion.

I hear guys say the two piece yields a slightly fatter sound due to increased mids. If so, this is so subtle Nad not worth worrying about. My SC250 and '01 SC with adjustable wraparound and solid wraparound both sound fat!

I currently have two PRS Singlecuts with wraparound bridges and trying to decide if I want an SC245 (25th Anniversary with Indian rosewood) or Stripped 58 with two piece stop tale bridge. It's driving my nuts. Lol!

I have heavy 10-54 on my solid wraparound and intonation seems fine, even though I have considered installing an adjustable wraparound bridge.

I think Les is correct.

Woodier tone from a separate bridge and stop tailpiece.

I also like to rest my hand on the strings between the bridge and tailpiece, and miss that when I play my guitars with just a wrap around tailpiece.

If you have a wraparound tailpiece you can get some of the thicker tone of a separate bridge and tailpiece by switching to the MannMade or PRS aluminum tailpiece with adjustable brass saddles.

My first Bernie Marsden already had the MannMade bridge on it when I bought it, so that's the one I've been using and liking a lot.

Old post but I am going thru this now.

I will say out of the one piece and two piece bridges I've owned, the woodiest and guitar with the most growl has been my SC250 with adjustable wraparound bridge, even more than my Les Paul's.
So I find there are too many variables to draw a conclusion.
I should start by saying that I've loved both bridges, and don't think one type of bridge is better than the other. The simply do different things.

Certainly there are lots of variables. I can only go on my own experience.

My Gibsons have been long gone except my '65 SG Special, but there's an interesting story behind that, because it's had both types of bridge installed.

In 1971 I had the wrap bridge replaced with a two piece bridge. So I've had the experience of both kinds of bridges on the very same guitar.

Not many have made that comparison on one and the same instrument, so I consider myself lucky. The guitar acquired a different resonance, and it absolutely sounded woodier. It's living with my son in LA now.

As to PRS models, I've had had 6 wrap tail Singlecuts (got the first one the week they were introduced). I've had four SCs with the current two piece bridges, plus a couple of 594 double cuts with the two piece vs 7 McCartys with the wrap bridge.

The variable here is a different scale length on several of them, so it's not a 1:1 comparison as it was with the SG.

Still, after a decent sample size of these guitars and bridges, I found the two piece woodier.

I hear guys say the two piece yields a slightly fatter sound due to increased mids. If so, this is so subtle Nad not worth worrying about. My SC250 and '01 SC with adjustable wraparound and solid wraparound both sound fat!
It isn't that they sound fatter. They simply have a different resonant frequency (thus a different resonant peak).

You probably know that the resonant peak is the amplitude peak at the frequency where the high frequencies start to roll off. It's like the filter controls on Moog synths that are called 'emphasis' instead of 'resonance' like on other synths. The operating principle is that the filter selects the frequency of the peak, and 'emphasis' or 'resonance' affects the amplitude of the peak.

What they do is the same thing a bridge does in some ways: they emphasize the peak frequency. I think the two piece raises both the amplitude of the resonant peak, as well as changes the resonant frequency. Hence, the woodier tone.

I agree that it's a bit subtle, but aren't subtle differences why we have different guitars? ;)

Last edited:
a 2 piece allows for a reduction or increase in string tension by adjusting the height of the bottom part of the bridge without having to change the height of the bridge itself.
Never having owned a guitar with a 2-piece system, I was unaware that I could adjust the tailpiece to affect string tension. When my Thinline arrived a couple years ago, I thought since the tail piece was off the deck and the adjustment screws loose, I should tighten it down right to the deck, which I then did. Upon playing, I immediately felt the difference. Only after a PM with Les and his explanation did I adjust it back to what I feel is a good slinky feel without being soggy. To me, that is a great feature of an electric guitar. Less finger pressure to fret notes, and bends are way easier. Of course, as with most things, to each his own.

Back