Turret board build

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5962

Clean enough?
Li2VpCP.jpg

It looks pretty good.
Are you specifically trying to keep wires as short as is practical?
This is the amp that I have mentioned before, that I built 10-11 years ago. When you are laying out your wiring, there are something things you want a straight and short as possible. Some that need just enough slack that you can position them away from noise sources, some that need to stay away from other things, some that must be twisted together for noise rejection, etc. So in some cases you end up re-doing a wire if for example you made it too short, and you can't bend it away from a noise source, you have to replace it with a little longer one that you can.

This is the amp that I have mentioned before, that I built 10-11 years ago. When you are laying out your wiring, there are something things you want a straight and short as possible. Some that need just enough slack that you can position them away from noise sources, some that need to stay away from other things, some that must be twisted together for noise rejection, etc. So in some cases you end up re-doing a wire if for example you made it too short, and you can't bend it away from a noise source, you have to replace it with a little longer one that you can.
OK, I get that. I remember fussing wire length, routing and positioning quite a bit when I made military antennas.

That is HAWT.

Makes me want to try my hand at amp building.
HOT INDEED. I'm still in the try stage myself, but I'm having a blast with it. Note the second dijon cap from the left is grafted onto the original leads from the first one I put in. I installed the board and then proceeded to link the turret to the large filter cap on the left with the blue wire. In doing so, I fried the sh!t out of the cap's outer shielding and shorted it. It took me two red-plated EL84s before I figured that out! But this combo is loud, woody and gorgeous sounding, and the JCM800 master volume channel is cooking with extra bacon, brother! SERVE IT!

I was in a mode then where I wanted “cranked tube amp tone” and that meant nothing more than an SE single EL84 amp for me (at the time). That’s also back when I was modding Valve Juniors. Once I finally tried some push pull amps I saw how much better they worked for rhythm punch. I sold that amp to someone from the amp forum. And it was single channel... and I wanted a clean channel also.

If it had a 2xEL84 power stage (or better yet, 2xEL34!) I never would have sold it. It sounded great. In fact, very much like my ATMA in 80s mode and 5 watt mode. But the difference in that and the 18 watt mode is what made me sell the High Octane.

Thank you. This is something I had always wanted to do. Honestly, I got involved in all the pedal modding and building and amp modding and building when the mortgage business was bad and I didn't have the money to go buying new amps. Once things got better, I stopped spending all my time on modding and building and started playing a lot more. Still, I wish I had done (and someday may still do) the 18 watt Marshall build that I was almost ready to start on.

The problem with that, as I said, is that it takes a lot of time. And, once you've had multiple really good amps, it's hard to take the time to build one in hopes it will be good enough to even get play time with a PRS and a Bogner in the room.

Edit: I think I still have at least 3, maybe 4 unbuilt pedal kits. I keep thinking when I get a "slow" winter I'll get them knocked out, but so far, that hasn't happened. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back