Tuning issues with my PRs se custom 24

T. Ward

I installed new locking tuners on my PRS SE CUSTOM 24,with new strings too,I played and stretched them also,but i still have tuning issues

I would look at the nut and see if it's cut right and if the strings move easily. You can add a little graphite or NutSauce before having to replace it.

Another thing is if all six of the bridge screws are even height and balancing on the knife edges. (Adjust with zero string tension!)

I installed new locking tuners on my PRS SE CUSTOM 24,with new strings too,I played and stretched them also,but i still have tuning issues
Did you happen to change the string gauge to 10's? Also, a Core nut is the best upgrade you can do for SE tuning issues. Locking tuners, while really convenient for string changes, do very little (if anything) for tuning stability, if you know how to properly install and wrap strings.

No….I put 9.5-46 on there
SE nuts are (typically) cut for 9-42 gauge strings. Many of us who have replaced the stock 9's with 10-46 have had tuning issues. Either from the strings binding at the nut due to the slots being too narrow, or from the strings cutting into the softer plastic nut on the SE's. You could try filing the slots slightly (if you feel comfortable doing that), or, again, the Core nut is excellent, is cut for 10's, and is a direct replacement.

I mean the SE Custom
SE nuts are (typically) cut for 9-42 gauge strings. Many of us who have replaced the stock 9's with 10-46 have had tuning issues. Either from the strings binding at the nut due to the slots being too narrow, or from the strings cutting into the softer plastic nut on the SE's. You could try filing the slots slightly (if you feel comfortable doing that), or, again, the Core nut is excellent, is cut for 10's, and is a direct replacement.
thank you...I'll just have to go back to the 9-42

I mean the SE Custom

thank you...I'll just have to go back to the 9-42
I wouldn’t. If you like 9.5’s, stick with that (I love the feel of that gauge). It’s so easy to replace the nut - use a blade to score at the nut/fretboard (to separate any exposed glue), and then give the nut a light tap - it should drop right out. $22 for a 2-pack of Core nuts. Dab of glue on the bottom of the new nut, position it (making sure it’s centered) and you’re good to go.

Hello all, I searched the threads before repeating the same question. My dilemma is similar, yet different. I first have an SE Custom 24 - trampas green with a roasted maple neck - and absolutely love it. Father's Day rolled around and I now have a PRS Fiore - really love it. I've played the Fiore more and want to switch on and off without a lot of string difference; I'm finding I play more aggressively with the heavier stringed Fiore and it causes me to pull the SE Custom 24 out of tune. I'm expecting to put 10's on the SE Custom 24 and have zero luthier experience. Swapping strings and setting intonation are about as far as I go. Knowing different regions will have different rates, etc., does anyone have an idea of what a nut change on the SE Custom 24 might run? I'm in Missouri and have 2 different local town sources that I would trust to do the work, but I wanted to get an idea of what I might expect before I go asking the service providers. Thanks in advance.

Hello all, I searched the threads before repeating the same question. My dilemma is similar, yet different. I first have an SE Custom 24 - trampas green with a roasted maple neck - and absolutely love it. Father's Day rolled around and I now have a PRS Fiore - really love it. I've played the Fiore more and want to switch on and off without a lot of string difference; I'm finding I play more aggressively with the heavier stringed Fiore and it causes me to pull the SE Custom 24 out of tune. I'm expecting to put 10's on the SE Custom 24 and have zero luthier experience. Swapping strings and setting intonation are about as far as I go. Knowing different regions will have different rates, etc., does anyone have an idea of what a nut change on the SE Custom 24 might run? I'm in Missouri and have 2 different local town sources that I would trust to do the work, but I wanted to get an idea of what I might expect before I go asking the service providers. Thanks in advance.
I would think whatever the hourly rate for luthiery in your area, can be done in less than an hour.

CME charges $85 for a setup, so with the nut replacement it’d be a bit more than that - for example.

Back