Tuning Issue

Normaso

So I went from the stock 9-44 gauge set on my SE allender to 10-52 Dunlop strings and now I cannot get the E string to innotate correctly. No matter how I adjust the saddle, it is really sharp. I even tried adjusting the saddle all the way to the trem screw and nothing. What could cause this?

I've never had intonation issues on a PRS, so I don't know for sure, but it could be a bad string, which happens. Possibly the string is not sitting all the way down in the nut slot, causing the action to be high, causing you to push down harder on it, causing the string to sound sharp?

The SE is made for 9-42 strings,and in my experience has a tight nut with a propensity to bind the strings. If you go to 10s you should widen the nut and lube it with Teflon lube. Widening is easily done with abrasive cord from stewmac or you can have it done at a guitar store.

it may be the nut is holding the string too high - widening would let it sit lower in the nut in its normal position.

also the tens have out more tension on the neck so there is a bow in it and it's needs a truss rod adjustment. This is normal and why there is a truss rod.

the issue is that if the bow or the nut make the strings too high, you are bending the string a lot to get it down to the fret. So it is slightly sharp. The intonation screws are trying to compensate for more than there were designed to handle.

I put 10's on a SC Soapbar SE, and the nut slots were so tight on those strings that the nut broke loose and moved as I was tuning the guitar! Your nut should definitely be checked and slots widened if need be.

Back