Tuning in E Flat - Floating Bridge

bjensen

Hi Everyone,

Will tuning to E flat result in a higher action on the neck with a floating bridge (I have a CE 24)?

I play in E flat sometimes and when I tune down, it seems like the action is higher. I don't have any luthier tools so I can't 100% verify.

Does a guitar need to be set up for different tunings as tuning down decreases the tension on the neck?

Thx in advance

Last edited:
Lowering the tuning won't affect the action, although since the strings will be at less tension, so they'll feel softer/slinkier, easier to fret and bend. Odd that you'd feel the action is higher, I'd assume if anything you'd think it felt lower, since it's easier to play. But the action itself is set by the height of the bridge/saddles, the nut, and to a smaller degree the truss rod. Tuning down (or up) won't directly change any of those.

As for set-up changes for different tunings, yes, most of time. You might find that it's not necessary after only going down half a step. But less tension on the neck means you might need to adjust the truss rod a bit to compensate. You'd likely notice this as getting fret buzz around the middle frets (neck has slight hump in the middle). And both of the changes (tuning down and truss rod adjustment) might mean your intonation then needs tweaking too.

If you're tuning to Eb all the time, you may want to tweak the setup, but it's going to be minor.

If anything, I'd think the action would get a little bit lower because the strings aren't pulling against the neck and truss rod as much. And I'd think the bridge would lose a small bit of pull-up because of less tension countering the pull of the springs. Not sure what effect the change to the bridge might have on the action.

You might want to back out the screws on the trem claw a little bit (again, if you're leaving it in Eb). Depending on how much you tune down, you can adjust the trem to be in a compromise setting.

If you're tuning to Eb all the time, you may want to tweak the setup, but it's going to be minor.

If anything, I'd think the action would get a little bit lower because the strings aren't pulling against the neck and truss rod as much. And I'd think the bridge would lose a small bit of pull-up because of less tension countering the pull of the springs. Not sure what effect the change to the bridge might have on the action.

You might want to back out the screws on the trem claw a little bit (again, if you're leaving it in Eb). Depending on how much you tune down, you can adjust the trem to be in a compromise setting.
Good points re: trem. I glossed over the fact he's got a CE24, didn't think about a trem

If your bridge is floating parallel to the body in standard tuning then as you tune down the lower end of the bridge is being pulled down towards the body by an increase in tension of the tremolo springs. When the bridge tilts and drops down the other end tilts up and does raise the strings slightly. You can get the bridge back to parallel by loosening the screws on the trem claw in the back. You will have to retune as you make adjustments. I would start with one full turn on each screw and see how close it gets you.

The entire bridge assembly is behind the fulcrum of the levrage, so the saddles should go down rather than up.

Anyway it is always better to reset the bridge to its normal working position by loosening the springs.

Back