Trying amps

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I tried a plexi reissue tonight. The freakin thing sounds glorious but going to lead work it falls short. I was plugged straight to the amp but had a marshall power brake bringing volume back down to earth.

Amp volume about 6 made chords sound fabulous, back in black would be the best description. But how does one get lead tones that sing out of one of those amps?

Jumping the inputs can kind of help too, but it'll never get to the saturation levels many of us are used to these days with out a boost/drive in front.

I've never used a real Marshall Plexi, but I had a DSL 40 for a hot minute. The Crunch setting supposedly did a poor mans version of a plexi according the internet. But yeah, since it's more a low to mid gain amp, I used to use something in front of the amp to dial in lead tones. I found fuzzes and distortion pedals worked well with my marshall. More so than some fenders I've played.

The HXDA is. a Plexi style amp, so I’m used to them, and here’s what you do.

Plexis overdrive quickly and that’s what causes them to get crunchy. When that happens, and an amp clips, the waveform is squashed and the amp compresses. Once the amp compresses far enough that it becomes saturated, the party’s over, because the signal loses top end definition due to the clipped signal; in that case, the amp won’t cut through the mix unless it’s loud.

Learning to control the way the amp saturates requires some old-school thinking.

Unfortunately, when you run its output through an attenuator, you’re adding even more compression, so it becomes more of an issue.

The less distortion, the less compression, the more headroom. A Plexi will cut for solos if you dial back the gain a bit, and control the amp with your guitar’s volume and tone controls. Set the amp up for a light, crunchy rhythm tone with your guitar volume halfway up, and you create headroom for solos using guitar volume and tone controls. As the guitar volume goes up, the amp gets both gainier and louder, and cuts for solos.

But you also have to let the power tubes do their thing, and that means giving it room to breathe. Yeah, it can get loud, but that can be controlled if you follow traditionalist advice on how to set it up. A Plexi isn’t a two-channel Mesa, where everything happens in the preamp.

What players did with their Plexis back in the day when they wanted tight lead sounds, was to dial back the gain to give the amp more headroom, and goose it with a fuzz.

Just my opinion, but using a tube screamer or other mid-heavy overdrive adds a more saturated, less distinct tone in a band setting, but a more full-range overdrive like an OCD works better. A germanium Fuzz Face style pedal and a Plexi is the classic combination, though.

A Plexi run a bit cleaner, controlled by the guitar volume, with a great fuzz, cranked so the power tubes are working? Hendrix. Eric Johnson. Duane Allman. Eric Clapton. Etc. And they all sounded different from each other, because they set things up to be what they wanted. I could go on, you know those tones.

Hendrix could play “The Wind Cries Mary” and “Manic Depression” with the same guitar, single-channel amp, and pedals. Kind of tells the Plexi story right there. Duane Allman used a Plexi and sounded completely different. That’s yet another tone story. Etc. It’s an amp that does let the player shape the tone, if the player ‘gets it’.

A true Plexi has only three preamp tubes; V1, V2, and V3 is the Phase inverter. It doesn’t have multiple gain stages. It’s simpler, and that gives it a certain character. Used right, it’s one of the greatest amps of all time. For anyone interested in its classic tones, there’s no substitute. And it isn’t a one trick pony. But you do have to learn how to use it.

Edit - One thing i forgot to mention earlier: bass requires the most amp power, so for more headroom and cut, turn down the bass control.

Last edited:
What Les said. Remember also...today's crunch tones aren't usually created on a Plexi-style amp. Today's high gain raunch is created from a different animal...

All great advice, thanks guys. I haven't ruled out the purchase yet but it certainly is a commitment so I need to decide carefully.

One thing I noticed is how my guitars all sound REALLY different through the plexi. They all sound different with curent amp but the plexi exposes those differences to a much greater degree. I could see an amp like this causing some of my guitars to become undesirable.

One thing I noticed is how my guitars all sound REALLY different through the plexi. They all sound different with curent amp but the plexi exposes those differences to a much greater degree. I could see an amp like this causing some of my guitars to become undesirable.

Plexis do have a different thing happening in the upper midrange and bass, and tend to accentuate a guitars’ characteristics in certain ways.

On the other hand, looking at all the different players using a variety of guitars with them to make classic music for a long time, I think most guitars work well, and it’s just a matter of dialing in the amp.

The HXDA is. a Plexi style amp, so I’m used to them, and here’s what you do.

Plexis overdrive quickly and that’s what causes them to get crunchy. When that happens, and an amp clips, the waveform is squashed and the amp compresses. Once the amp compresses far enough that it becomes saturated, the party’s over, because the signal loses top end definition due to the clipped signal; in that case, the amp won’t cut through the mix unless it’s loud.

Learning to control the way the amp saturates requires some old-school thinking.

Unfortunately, when you run its output through an attenuator, you’re adding even more compression, so it becomes more of an issue.

The less distortion, the less compression, the more headroom. A Plexi will cut for solos if you dial back the gain a bit, and control the amp with your guitar’s volume and tone controls. Set the amp up for a light, crunchy rhythm tone with your guitar volume halfway up, and you create headroom for solos using guitar volume and tone controls. As the guitar volume goes up, the amp gets both gainier and louder, and cuts for solos.

But you also have to let the power tubes do their thing, and that means giving it room to breathe. Yeah, it can get loud, but that can be controlled if you follow traditionalist advice on how to set it up. A Plexi isn’t a two-channel Mesa, where everything happens in the preamp.

What players did with their Plexis back in the day when they wanted tight lead sounds, was to dial back the gain to give the amp more headroom, and goose it with a fuzz.

Just my opinion, but using a tube screamer or other mid-heavy overdrive adds a more saturated, less distinct tone in a band setting, but a more full-range overdrive like an OCD works better. A germanium Fuzz Face style pedal and a Plexi is the classic combination, though.

A Plexi run a bit cleaner, controlled by the guitar volume, with a great fuzz, cranked so the power tubes are working? Hendrix. Eric Johnson. Duane Allman. Eric Clapton. Etc. And they all sounded different from each other, because they set things up to be what they wanted. I could go on, you know those tones.

Hendrix could play “The Wind Cries Mary” and “Manic Depression” with the same guitar, single-channel amp, and pedals. Kind of tells the Plexi story right there. Duane Allman used a Plexi and sounded completely different. That’s yet another tone story. Etc. It’s an amp that does let the player shape the tone, if the player ‘gets it’.

A true Plexi has only three preamp tubes; V1, V2, and V3 is the Phase inverter. It doesn’t have multiple gain stages. It’s simpler, and that gives it a certain character. Used right, it’s one of the greatest amps of all time. For anyone interested in its classic tones, there’s no substitute. And it isn’t a one trick pony. But you do have to learn how to use it.

Edit - One thing i forgot to mention earlier: bass requires the most amp power, so for more headroom and cut, turn down the bass control.
I have to say, I totally agree. In your living room, a Tube Screamer can do the job, but I never had a dedicated sound guy, like Serge, to keep me from being lost in the mix. A plain-Jane Big Muff did an excellent job for me. Volume boost + endless sustain or extra bite to climb over the other guitarist. With the Kemper, now I can get there with a bump in gain and output volume alone.

But how does one get lead tones that sing out of one of those amps?

Practice.

Les hit it... dial the amp in so that you get your rhythm sound with your guitar's volume and tone backed off, then if you need to you can add gain/volume or more top end from your guitar's controls.

But the other thing is practice. Soloing is harder when you're used to the amp doing most of the work for you, but eventually you'll get better at it.

Germanium Fuzz Face, Klon, SHO, Barber Gain Changer, Fulltone Fulldrive (III), OCD, etc. All different and fantastic flavors of solo voice for a Plexi.

I would love to try an HXDA but nobody carries prs amps in my area.

I wish I could just send you mine, but I’d be forlorn without it. And I’d worry a lot about shipping it.

Forgive me for being so attached to a bunch of metal, wires, wood and glass! I can’t seem to control my irrational lizard brain.

Germanium Fuzz Face, Klon, SHO, Barber Gain Changer, Fulltone Fulldrive (III), OCD, etc. All different and fantastic flavors of solo voice for a Plexi.

To this lust list you can add the Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2. I’ve become rather addicted to it.

Will check it out. Thanks! I had been thinking my next one would be Tumnus Deluxe. Did you see Pete Thorns demo?

Back