Truss Rod Adjustment

jjlentini

Hi,
Just bought SE Kestral bass, neck lil out of spec so I gave it a tug to put it in spec about 48 hrs later the bow was back. What am i missing?
jj

If you're experienced, 1/4 turns until it's where you feel it should be, if you're not experienced, visit a luthier.

yea I did that got it perfect in spec nice low action with no buzz however 48 hours later the truss rod loosened to the position I started from out of spec. I put premium strings, low tension, Thomastik Enfield’s flats, sound awesome just too high in the first position. Other than truss rod issue the bass is awesome.
I returned the bass for another. I should not have to pay people to fix a brand new bass from PRS. If I have the same problem bass #2 I will pass on PRS SE products look to other bass purchase options. So far not a good impression of PRS SE stuff.

JJ

it is spring and the temps and humidity are changing. may have something to do with it.

I've had a few PRS SE guitars. With these as well as the core and private stock iterations, the degree of neck bowing may change as the guitar acclimates to your room environment, or as the environment within your room changes. This is the case with any level guitar.

Kevin

Yea I thought of the climate having a play, when I unboxed the bass I let it sit for 48 hours before I changed strings and tweaked the truss rod. Also, I have a sweet Gibson SG bass with no change to the neck as a baseline to a/b compare. It has chromes low tension strings also. I live in Phoenix, humidity and moisture is low/dry now, when monsoon arrives humidity at best is about 50%.
Are PRS necks sensitive to climate? will I have to adjust the truss rod every 48 to 72 hours?
Thanks for the replies.

JJ

I haven't noticed my PRS as being more sensitive than my Les Paul. Once I get them stabilized and set, they are extremely stable.

Kevin

I also haven't noticed anything. I have several that I have never touched. My Cu22 needs a tweak as it changes from Fall to Winter, and then again in late spring. As far as SE's go, I've had to adjust the truss rod a couple of times in 4 years on my Bernie. By comparison, it seems like I am always tweaking the TR on my Ernie Ball JPX. I'd say it's a per instrument thing, not so much a brand thing. I had a JP6 that never needed attention, but the JPX needs lots. I have several different PRS models, and the only one that ever seems to need attention is the Cu22.

Thanks Kevin, I love the bass It's awesome. No PRS authorized warranty service in AZ . I would have to ship it to the east coast to have them look at it.
So I swapped it out, the new bass should be here Wednesday. I will let it acclimate to the phoenix climate, change strings and adjust it Saturday as temps are cool 69 degrees now and will hit the low 80's by the weekend.
I did follow directions that came with it, I got it perfect. I don't want to mess with the truss rod fear of breaking it or messing up the neck.
I will let Musicians Friend handle the warranty service of it with PRS.

JJ

Just remember that if you change the strings to lighter ones that in itself will require a truss rod adjustment. Probably more than one. Try playing it a few weeks with the strings that are on it so you know how it plays and then change to strings you prefer after it's acclimated to your home.

Back