Trem Arm Set Screw?

HEADKNOCKER

I did a setup today on my Sons 97 CE-22, He wanted .010"-.046" & it had .011"-.050" on it, I had to loosen the truss rod slightly to give it a small amount of relief & lower the saddles a few thousanths with the .050" allen wrench & also loosen the claw a small amount & intonation was still spot on perfect with my old Sabine tuner..
After the setup He said He wanted the bar to be less floppy/loose & I noticed that the set screw in the trem is missing? I assume it vibrated out to never be found again..
I wondered if anyone knows the exact size & pitch of this allen screw?
I'm sure it could be picked up @ Home Depot, ACE Hardware etc.
I looked threw my parts stash & all the extra saddles etc. that I have are metric & am sure they aren't the right size or pitch..
Just wanted it to be perfect before I go back & put the truss rod cover & trem cover back on tomarrow after I'm sure the neck has settled..

BTW It's playing better than ever with the .010"s, Feels better to my old hands anyhow, I put Nickle Slinkys on it today..

I also wondered the meaning of the stuff written in the pickup cavities, Of Course serial#, Birth Date, Model, Color?? etc. How about the Blue Dot Sticker? Neck plate has 7 CE16561..
Stickers on the pickups are Original Dragons, Which sound great & the 5 way rotory switch is 100%.. Sprayed the three pots out with DeOxit too..
The guitar is very mint, A couple of the pics with flash look like scratches but aren't, It 100% stock except for the pickup rings which were on it when We picked it up, Looks as good as could be expected for being 18 years old with just a small amount of fret wear in the lower chording area on the unwound strings..

I'm a newby here but not new by any chance, We have 2 Gibsons, Charvel, Jackson, Ibanez, Ovation, Fender, Washburn, Silvertone & several others plus the PRS..

Thanks in advance!!
Gary/Hk

Here's a few pics of the 1997 PRS CE-22
01.jpg

CE22.jpg

Pickups%20amp%20Cavity.jpg

Dragon%20Bass.jpg

Dragon%20Treble.jpg

Not a big Foreigner Fan, But they ROCK..
That's a handle I've used for years on the Smith & Wesson forum..
"Might Show You His Smith & Wesson" HEADKNOCKER
640Spegels.jpg

Smith & Wesson 640-1 Pro Series 357 Mag Centennial
Grips by Craig Spegel - Knife & Case Taylor Made by my Wifes Grandpaw Gatterer NOTE: "G"
My Name is Gary = "G"

I suppose I could just buy a few small standard allen set screws & find the one that fits & put a drop of blue loctite on the screw to dry first & install it later on..
This morning the guitar seemed to play even better after settling over night & will get it put back together this afternoon..

I also have a Ce24 with 5708s. Had PTC refret and pro setup it has become my favorite. Gigged with it last night and it just kills. PRS is making a lot of very nice guitars and pickups these days. I have an extra set of Dragon 1s and covered Ms just waiting for my next project.

I was hoping to just get some insight on the numbers 23064.6 ??? & PLWT ??? Purple ?? Blue Inspection Sticker ??
Still wondering about the set screw in the trem too, I could just buy several standard ones until I get the right one..

The build quality of this PRS is far superior to our Gibson Nighthawk & Blueshawk in almost every way, Tone, Sound, Pickups, Fretboard, Tuners, Bridge, Feel, Playability etc.
Paul really knows how to build them right, This bolt on neck guitar is far better than any Fender Strat I've had, Just Killer!!
My Son is still Tone Searching & I've told him that the CE-22 is a keeper & He later got the two Gibsons looking for that jangly single tone sound that I suppose a Fender Strat or Tele could produce, Maybe a PRS 513??
I'm building a Jackson DK2M Superstrat currently with a Duncan P-Rail & two Fender single coils that might just quench the "Tone Search" for a while, You know how that goes..

Last edited:
I know you can get a full trem update kit for not too much on ebay. That includes that plastic sleeve. I have the same guitar, 97 ce22 with dragons, and my trem arm fits snug into the sleeve, and hangs perfectly so it is right where my hand wants it to be, and never gets in the way. It might be worth it to put in a new sleeve. I case my axe when I am not playing it, and I would hate to have to tighten, then loosen that screw everytime I play. I love these trems both for the comfort, as well as the beautiful harmonic overtones it creates when used just right. Lovely guitar! Best value I have ever found.

The plastic sleeve is fine but there is a set screw that holds it in & also tightens the tension..
You would not have to turn the screw in order to remove or install the arm..
A great design IMO.. Makes the Floyd & Fender type obsolete..

Also sorry about posting pics of those Gibsons & Jackson, I didn't even think about this being unwanted on this PRS sponsored webpage..
I'll edit them out!!

Idk why prs screw sizes are so hard to find online. I've looked in the past to no avail. A complete chart would be a god send. Who wants to have to buy a whole kit for one screw, right? I tried searching a little for you, and found where someone thought it was a 440 size, but wasn't sure about length. Pretty sure it is an allen screw with the same .050 fitting as the saddle screws. I set my ce up in the case, and ended up losing several screws. The case actually ate some. I had to put a telescoping magnet against a whole inside the case, close the case, then shake it around, to retrieve my truss rod cover screw.

Idk why prs screw sizes are so hard to find online. I've looked in the past to no avail. A complete chart would be a god send. Who wants to have to buy a whole kit for one screw, right? I tried searching a little for you, and found where someone thought it was a 440 size, but wasn't sure about length. Pretty sure it is an allen screw with the same .050 fitting as the saddle screws. I set my ce up in the case, and ended up losing several screws. The case actually ate some. I had to put a telescoping magnet against a whole inside the case, close the case, then shake it around, to retrieve my truss rod cover screw.

You and I must be related. Sounds like you have my kind of luck.

I have lots of hardware etc. & I know I have some 440 screws that I can check the size against & that size tap as well..
Now you guys got me wanting to go searching threw the guitars case, But when it fell out it had to have been being played for sure, Before We ever bought the guitar..
I'd also bet that the factory screw & bridge saddle screws would be stainless or they'd be all rusted up..
My Trem Cover & Truss Rod Cover and screws are in a "Safe Place"
Thanks to those who responded/tried, I thought maybe someone from the Factory could tell me or possibly even send me one..
When I find out for sure I'll post my findings.. I deleted my pics of those G&J guitars not thinking that this a PRS Factory Site.. Sorry About That..
Gary/Hk

The Trem Arm Set Screw was 4-40

I found one in my stash of hardware in stainless about 3/8" long it was driven by a .050" allen wrench
With just a snug on the plastic collar it tightened it up perfectly

I wish I could tell you where to find them but I aquired the one I found a while back and was used as a overtravel stop in the rear of a Ruger 10/22 Trigger & I also had two taps for their instalation..

Glad you solved the mystery. Guns and guitars, makes sense, precision peices. Beautiful peace you have there. I am not into guns personally, but I can appreciate the beauty in the craftsmanship. I live really close to the Smith and Wesson factory here in Springfield MA. Perhaps Paul could collaborate with them in making a "Paul Reed Smith and Wesson". I bet it would sound beautiful when fired.

Here's the proof, you can just see the .050" drive head of the 4-40 stainless screw & a pic of the guitar in a stand with the arm held still..

P3310038.jpg

P3310036.jpg

Yup!! I figure that really needs teflon tape or blue loctite put on the screw to keep it from vibrating out but the screw is threaded against the nylon sleeve but it did fall out before.. BTW my bridge etc. looks way better to the eye than it does in the pics, The small amount of corrosion can really be seen by the camera in the close up..
Gary/Hk

Back