Tosin Abasi 8 string

Cool stuff. Nice to see PRS getting on the 8 string action. I asked for a quote on one years ago, but it never moved.

Since he has been working on a Sig model with ibanez i doubt he's switching sides. But maybe this will convince him in the near future. He's a beast

I wonder if he's leaving Ibanez? I'd love to see Gibson try something like this.
No way. Abasi is a devoted Ibanez artist, but that doesn't mean he doesn't play other guitars. His new Ibanez signature 8 looks like a fan fret spaceship-axe from Venus. Pretty bitchin. This PRS 8-McCarty, though... Just sick beyond words.

Saw his post about getting the guitar, then immediately after saw a post he's gonna be in Madison on the Generation Axe tour with Vai, Wylde, Malmstein and a couple others and got really excited... Then got sad when all the good tickets were sold out almost as fast as they were put on sale.

Stupid question but what's the reason for an eight string guitar, six is too many for me as it is? Presumably it's tuned differently but can it be used like a 'normal' guitar using chords etc. or are they just for open tuning?

More chordal possibilities and wider range. I honestly don't know what a standard tuning for an 8 string is, I can barely handle 7, which is usually just one lower string, like a baritone. I think a lot of 8s are one string down and one up, so the middle 6 are tuned like a standard guitar.

More chordal possibilities and wider range. I honestly don't know what a standard tuning for an 8 string is, I can barely handle 7, which is usually just one lower string, like a baritone. I think a lot of 8s are one string down and one up, so the middle 6 are tuned like a standard guitar.

8 string standard tuning is TWO lower strings: a low B and a low F#.

I also wonder what pickups they out in there.
I guess they would go for a jazz voicing but what if PRS are working on an active pickup :/

Thanks for catching me on that -- I was speaking too short hand, and totally left out something entirely important. I meant to add something to the effect that I suspect two lower strings is the standard tuning, and the one up one down is probably the second most popular way of stringing an 8, but less by a significant margin. Most tunings go lower.

And I just realized elsewhere -- I don't play any chords with all 7 strings, I use that lowest string more for scales and riffs.

Last edited:
Thanks for catching me on that -- I was speaking too short hand. I meant to add something to the effect that I suspect two lower strings is the standard tuning, and the one up one down is probably the second most popular way of stringing an 8, but less by a significant margin. Most tunings go lower.

And I just realized elsewhere -- I don't play any chords with all 7 strings, I use that lowest string more for scales and riffs.
This is where Abasi's technique has essentially validated the 8-string. His funk slap and two-handed tapping techniques fully utilize the 8-string capacity unlike any other players to date, to my knowledge. His new Ibanez signature is a multi scale design, which idealizes scale length physics just like a piano or harp. If you haven't checked out his music, listen to it. Then cue him up on YouTube an watch how he played it, and you'll scratch your head!

Oh yeah, I love him, he's my idol. <3

But I'm a long way off from getting anywhere near as good as him. I don't scratch my head -- I know what he's doing -- but there's a difference between knowing what he's doing and being able to do it.

See also Josh Martin/"Glitch tapping".

Yep, but Tosin tunes the F# down a whole step to E. Imagine a 6 string with a low B and low E. All your patterns still work since you don't have to adjust for an oddly tuned string.

Screen_Shot_2016_02_25_at_8_01_11_PM.png

Back