Tone pot behaving like a volume pot, need advice

prudd

Hi all

got a problem with my '09 305, when the volume is full on the tone pot works as it should, however if i drop the volume to 9 or below the tone pot seems to only work as a secondary volume control and makes no effect on the tone. Any ideas what could be wrong?. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I sent a guitar with the tone control having a large impact on volume to PTC. I don't recall exactly what they did beyond a reference to a cold solder joint.

There is a measure of volume impact from the tone control at lower volume setting from this era.

i have a problem like this i tired to turn my volume all the way off but still had sound,i had to turn the tone all the way off to make the sound stop any i dear?plus when you turn the tone all the way down it get bright like when you have tone on ten hit it on 8 or 9 and its warm sounding.

Look for a short. I'm betting that a braided shield is touching something it shouldn't. (Insert joke here)

thanks guys for the input, have not had time to act on advice yet. will let you know how i get on

paul

Ended up selling the 305 for financial reasons, never did resolve the problem with the tone pot.

Fast forward 7 months and Ive just bought another 305, a 25th Anniversary model, and guess what, the exact same thing with the tone pot, with the volume full on it works fine, if you drop the volume pot down a little the tone pot stops acting like a tone pot and more like a secondary volume pot...wierd.
Anyone else got a 305 that does this?

Back