Tonare Grand Size VS Gibson Jumbo

Gibson67v

I'm kind of curious about the size difference between the Gibson Jumbo (Southern) and the Tonare Grand.

The Tonare looks to be much smaller in size, is this the case? also has anyone owned or played both? how do they compare?

I'm gonna be going in blind on this one because my music stores around here don't carry the US PRS Acoustics as they are too expensive. I'm looking to buy one probably around March 2014 as I'm still enjoying the other 3 PRS guitars that I just bought in the last 3 months.

Looking forward to responses...

The exact dimensions are on the PRS page. I'd assume Gib$on would have it, as well...

Jamie

Well, first, the Tonare and the Southern Jumbo are different shapes altogether. The Southern Jumbo was just a fancier J-45 when Gibson introduced it.

The waist on a Southern Jumbo is wider, the shoulders are shaped differently, and so are the upper and lower bouts. If you glanced at a Southern Jumbo, you'd think it was just a slope shoulder dreadnought, and you'd be right since that is precisely what it is.

The Tonare's shape and size is similar to the 1950s J-185 Small Jumbo; both guitars are 16" at the lower bout.

And so is the Southern Jumbo. I can't compare the other dimensions, but that should be a good starting point. The guitars are about the same general size. The Tonare is not a small guitar. It has a fairly deep body as well.

What is important to keep in mind is that the two guitars are braced differently, sound very different, and that all-around the Tonare is a superior instrument in every way. So playing a J-185 isn't going to give you a clue. You have a while before you're ready to buy, go play a Tonare. You will not be disappointed.

If you can afford to drop Tonare-level coin on a guitar, it's worth spending a few bucks to travel to a place that has one and play it if you don't want to take a chance. Though frankly, it isn't a big risk, since you will love it.

I've had a lot of top end acoustics, and nothing, absolutely nothing in the production world, compares to the PRS Maryland acoustics. They are in a category by themselves.

I've played $15-20,000 Olsons, vintage Gurians, and some of the other extremely high end makers' guitars, and while they can be fantastic, I honestly believe that the PRS acoustics are in the same rarefied category in terms of tone and construction.

And stuff like Collings that is around the same price as PRS honestly is very nice stuff, but I didn't like owning it nearly as much as I love the PRS acoustics.

I know I sound like a PRS homer, and I suppose I am. But PRS has earned my loyalty, and it didn't come easily.

Last edited:
LSchefman;87964 [B said:
What is important to keep in mind is that the two guitars are braced differently, sound very different, and that all-around the Tonare is a superior instrument in every way. So playing a J-185 isn't going to give you a clue. You have a while before you're ready to buy, go play a Tonare. You will not be disappointed.[/B]

I figured that one lol... I believe you in EVERY WAY!!

When I picked up my Gibson Acoustic it was 4 Grand... I played Martin's and Taylors (I can't really remember anything else that was there) and the Gibson played and sounded better and deeper than everything there. that was 2007... this winter I had to get it fixed because the neck was messed up because of the winters out here. The finish has cracked around anything that is inlaid and also around the nut, and it rarely sounds like a million bucks anymore. I used to have 9 Gibsons. and 4 Paul Reed Smiths... now I have 1 Gibson and 8 Paul Reed Smiths (USA Made, of course). I'd get rid of the Acoustic if it wasn't limited edition (Custom Shop, lonly 63 made, yadda yadda).

I'm probably going to go for a Tonare Grand Custom. I'm not that big on the whole Piezo in an Acoustic, however, I love my P22... so it'll be a nice option. I really like the shape and of course the aesthetics... but most of all I like the sound I have heard from EVERY video I have seen online (A good hint would be to watch videos on websites and not YouTube... YouTube Compresses WAY TOO MUCH... but everyone knows that).

6 grand isn't bad for an acoustic that I know is carefully made (not slapped together and painted nice.. Gibson), will sound like a billion bucks, will last forever even in this weather in Alberta, and of course play tested by Paul himself...

In order to travel somewhere that has this guitar I'd have to spend over $1,500... I'd rather put that money somewhere else... most places have the Angelus anyways... which I might consider, but I've never been a fan of cutaway acoustics...

actually... I'm taking the wife to Florida sometime in January... looks like I'll be calling all of the PRS dealers out there to try one out... looks like the Florida trip just got more interesting!!!

6 grand isn't bad for an acoustic that I know is carefully made (not slapped together and painted nice.. Gibson), will sound like a billion bucks, will last forever even in this weather in Alberta

Michigan's weather is probably a lot like Alberta; long, cold, dry winters that ruin guitars! Even with a whole-house humidifcation system on my furnace, it's forced air heating and it still gets down to 25% humidity or so. To put in perspective, the Sahara Desert's RH is usually around 25%!!

And wood being wood, and nitro being nitro, I go the extra mile. Here's what I do to preserve the playability and everything else for my acoustic and electric guitars:

I never had good luck with in-case humidifiers. The guitars were always too wet where the humidifier was, and too dry everywhere else. Over the years going back to the late 60s, I started with a half of a potato in a soap case with holes in it (the standard thing back then, smelly and ineffective), then when they started coming out with little round plastic cases with plaster of paris that you'd soak in water and stick in the case, I switched to that; then soundhole humidifiers, green rubber noodle doodads you'd clip to the strings,and on and on, I tried everything. Basically all of that was a complete waste of effort.

In 2000 a friend on the old PRS Forum, Scott Peterson, said, "They have room humidifiers now that filter out the white dust, I just keep the guitar and case in the humidified room, the guitar doesn't know what time of the year it is and it works." So I started doing that, and got my best guitar care results.

It's a pain in the rear, you have to refill the water every day or two, but I'm able to keep the room where I keep the guitars at a constant 40% in the winter months. As a result, the guitars can go a long time without needing adjustments, without finishes getting screwed up, and so on. The acoustics stay playable.

For the last couple of years, I've used an Air-O-Swiss that puts out a warm mist. But I've also used one of the steam-based ones with good results. Very inexpensive guitar insurance. You can find good ones for under $100-200.

Note: you don't need one of those big floor models, they're awful., and difficult to fill and control. Tried that, too, at one point.

Last edited:
I live in Vegas and use Oasis in the case humidifiers for all of my guitars. My Bourgeois and Taylor GS BTO have never needed any adjustments, they are in hardshell cases. My Taylor GS mini needed a neck adjustment recently, that's in a soft gigbag. In the winter I run a whole house humidifier, which is kept in my bedroom where the guitars are kept. Of the 11 PRS guitars/basses I have, I had to adjust one neck since moving here. YMMV

I have a Gibson SJ and three Tonares; very different guitars. As was noted, they are larger but different shapes. The SJ is mahogany and Sitka and definitely lighter. Really fine for strumming and fits in well with vocals. The Tonares are much more "musical", bringing a lot of different tonal flavors.

I try to appreciate smaller guitars but I always gravitate back towards the bigger ones; to thine own self be true!

That's awesome!!! Do you find much difference from the original to the newer ones?

All three are actually 2009 models. the Celtic inlay in the middle has the pick-up system and Cocobolo/Adirondack Spruce. The one on the left is Cocobolo/Euro Spruce and the one on the right is Mahogany/Euro Spruce. Wonderful guitars.

Back