To clean a case?

boxstop7

I’ve acquired a Signature Limited, but the case is a little dingy and I’d like to clean it up. What, if anything, do y’all use to safely clean the early-2010s era Artist cases (the plain black fabric exterior with the brown leather “caps”)? Thanks!

Is it a tolex or leather? I have an 06 Artist guitar that is in the all black leather wrapped case. It will matter what you can use on it. Tolex could take more rubbing than the leather case would take. If you rub the leather with something like a magic eraser, it will more than likely leave a mark and could remove some of the dye. I don't know if I have seen a PRS case with brown ends. The old private stock cases were wrapped with brown suede leather and were all brown.

Is it a tolex or leather? I have an 06 Artist guitar that is in the all black leather wrapped case. It will matter what you can use on it. Tolex could take more rubbing than the leather case would take. If you rub the leather with something like a magic eraser, it will more than likely leave a mark and could remove some of the dye. I don't know if I have seen a PRS case with brown ends. The old private stock cases were wrapped with brown suede leather and were all brown.
The current Wood :library and Artist cases are black paisley fabric with brown vinyl end caps.

I’ve acquired a Signature Limited, but the case is a little dingy and I’d like to clean it up. What, if anything, do y’all use to safely clean the early-2010s era Artist cases (the plain black fabric exterior with the brown leather “caps”)? Thanks!

If it's like the current WL and Artist cases - sounds like it - the first thing I'd do to clean it up is vacuum the fabric with one of those furniture and drapery brushes that come with most vacuum cleaners to remove the dust and loose particles. If there are dirty spots, I'd use something made to remove stains from furniture, and I'd use it very lightly. Don't want to soak through to the wood underneath.

The end caps (if they're vinyl) should come clean with a damp cloth and maybe a little 409 or other household cleaner, though there are vinyl cleaners made for car interiors that will also work. If they're leather, use a leather cleaner. It's pretty easy to tell if it's leather: Just give it the sniff test!

"You fully realize that Alan will soon come along and make a joke about giving other kinds of things the sniff test."

"I sure hope so."

Thanks, all! The cases used around 2012 were very similar to the black paisley artist cases, but this was the iteration before black paisley became the "default". Same color scheme - black fabric wrap with the brown leather/vinyl ends - just that the fabric is a plain black. My AP 408 from 2013 has the same case as the 2012 Sig Limited, but my AP Cu24 a few years later came with the black paisley. The furniture/upholstery cleaner suggestion seems like the route to go. Thank you!!!

Maybe drop PRS customer service an email, see if they have any suggestions.
Already did. Dropped them a line stating that I acquired a guitar and the case was a little dingy. Was hoping they might have some input as to how best to clean the case. This is what I got in response:

"As the manufacturer of PRS Guitars, we cannot properly advise on how to refurbish/deep clean an old guitar case that is potentially exhibiting mold, moisture or other forms of damage."

I never mentioned anything about "mold, moisture or other forms of damage". It's just a little dirty.

Already did. Dropped them a line stating that I acquired a guitar and the case was a little dingy. Was hoping they might have some input as to how best to clean the case. This is what I got in response:

"As the manufacturer of PRS Guitars, we cannot properly advise on how to refurbish/deep clean an old guitar case that is potentially exhibiting mold, moisture or other forms of damage."

I never mentioned anything about "mold, moisture or other forms of damage". It's just a little dirty.
The ‘ol CYA advice… COVER YOUR A$$.
I don’t blame them. Nobody knows what happens to a case after it leaves the factory.
They don’t want the liability of what may happen with any type of suggestion.

The ‘ol CYA advice… COVER YOUR A$$.
I don’t blame them. Nobody knows what happens to a case after it leaves the factory.
They don’t want the liability of what may happen with any type of suggestion.
I don't blame them either. If I look at it from their perspective, it's the only answer they could really give.

Thanks, all! The cases used around 2012 were very similar to the black paisley artist cases, but this was the iteration before black paisley became the "default". Same color scheme - black fabric wrap with the brown leather/vinyl ends - just that the fabric is a plain black. My AP 408 from 2013 has the same case as the 2012 Sig Limited, but my AP Cu24 a few years later came with the black paisley. The furniture/upholstery cleaner suggestion seems like the route to go. Thank you!!!
I had one of the Signature Limiteds, and completely forgot that the fabric was plain ballistic nylon - a very cool case!

Back