Thoughts on this bridge problem...

jksuter

Finally, after waiting for years I found a great PRS McCarty Hollow Body. Interesting issue with the bridge. Check out the G string saddle. It looks like the screw is no longer attached at the back and a spring was put in to keep it in place. Seems to be intonated correctly, but I just see long term problems. I am wondering if this can be fixed or if I should just order a new one. I sent an email to PRS and they said to ship them the whole guitar. They might be able to fix the bridge or would replace it if needed. I am just concerned about how much money I am going to drop on this. It does have the piezo option.

PALc1cnVPaoidFi1ZgABYWF_8713Tz2cHNyEtdkPqaA=w1273-h955-no

I wonder if screw has vibrated out and saddle is being held in place by string. Watch it close so you don't lose it.

This looks like the old style adjustable/piezo stop tail. That means you lost an "E-clip" that attaches to the screw between the spring and inside of the bridge saddle slot. Let me see if I still have a picture...

This isn't that hard of a fix, though that tiny little clip is a pain to get on. Yours will need a little extra care since it has the piezo and you don't want to damage that saddle. You'll need some patience, a tweezers and a small screw driver. I probably have extra E-clips. PRS sent me some when I lost one on my regular adjustable stoptail. You'll need to remove the string, carefully screw the intonation screw back in. The thing that throws me is the spring. I don't think that's supposed to be there. The clip is what holds the screw in position. I'm guessing whoever had it before lost the clip and tried to use a spring instead. If so, that spring needs to come out and be replaced with the proper clip. That that's my guess anyway. do the rest of the saddles have a spring? Doesn't look like it.

Last edited:
Of course, the screw could be stripped from the saddle as well. Then you would need the whole saddle replaced which only PRS can provide. So there's a few variables there, which is probably why they asked you to send it in. Could be as simple as putting a new E clip on all the way to replacing the whole saddle and screw if it's stripped. I assume the piezo saddle is working in terms of that it's amplifying the string properly?

Either way if you send the thing to PRS you can be assured they'll do it right and probably charge little or nothing...

Of course, the screw could be stripped from the saddle as well. Then you would need the whole saddle replaced which only PRS can provide. So there's a few variables there, which is probably why they asked you to send it in. Could be as simple as putting a new E clip on all the way to replacing the whole saddle and screw if it's stripped. I assume the piezo saddle is working in terms of that it's amplifying the string properly?

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if it could be fixed or if the whole bridge needed replaced. Buying a new screw, saddle, and e-clip seems cheaper than the whole bridge. Also, the piezo is working fine. Maybe I will call and see if they can sell and send me those parts. I hate that the way the bridge studs are all buggered up too...

This isn't that hard of a fix, though that tiny little clip is a pain to get on. Yours will need a little extra care since it has the piezo and you don't want to damage that saddle. You'll need some patience, a tweezers and a small screw driver. I probably have extra E-clips. PRS sent me some when I lost one on my regular adjustable stoptail. You'll need to remove the string, carefully screw the intonation screw back in. The thing that throws me is the spring. I don't think that's supposed to be there. The clip is what holds the screw in position. I'm guessing whoever had it before lost the clip and tried to use a spring instead. If so, that spring needs to come out and be replaced with the proper clip. That that's my guess anyway. do the rest of the saddles have a spring? Doesn't look like it.

This is basically what I was thinking happened too, but I didn't know about the "E-clip". I bet that is all it needs, unless the screw stripped up as someone suggested. Only the G string has the spring.

Any benefit in ordering a newer bridge over the old style one?
The newer bridge is nicer. No E-clips and the saddles have a tighter fit. More solid overall. Can't say I hear a tone difference or sustain difference. There may be some but the newer bridge is better constructed. I have and use both the old and new non piezo bridges.

You'd have to ask PRS on a cost estimate. They will do a great job. Hard to say.

If if you look at the other saddles you should be able to the clips in there. They are tiny and super thin. I'll try to find a pic tomorrow if you can't see them. Sometimes they spin around which makes it hard to see they're there.

Back