Thoughts on selling gear on Facebook Marketplace?

What’s the deal with people who write “is it still available?” then they never respond.

I don’t know whether to even respond to those types.
Basically...I don't...lol.
If they can't be a$$ed to use a bit of imagination and effort in their reply rather than the canned crap Farcebook provides, then I probably don't want to deal with them.

Ugh I’m going to have to go through this soon. I want to sell quite a few of mine but I am dreading any buyers remorse drama.

I was thinking it might be less of a hassle just to trade them in to Sweetwater or something and get store credit (or get a nice PS) if I raise the funds.

Ugh I’m going to have to go through this soon. I want to sell quite a few of mine but I am dreading any buyers remorse drama.

I was thinking it might be less of a hassle just to trade them in to Sweetwater or something and get store credit (or get a nice PS) if I raise the funds.
Got to be firm and leave the rose tinted spectacles at home.
I had a marathon play session and any that did not speak to me got the “axe”
And somehow I managed to actually stay the course bar the 10 top that I have not been able to force myself to list yet.
I did buy a 2014 Private Stock though to help fill the empty spaces( sounds like something that Pink Floyd would sing?)

Just got to not look back.

I guess it’s easier to figure out the ones which are the definite keepers than which to let go.

I have rarely sold any guitars (2 or 3) hence now I’ve got nearly 30, and another 8-10 amps. All this gear is starting to weigh me down (not to mention the clutter of cases).
But I’ve still got plenty of room in my heart to love more guitars. Just not the space they take up. Sigh!! I’ll get to it soon… maybe.

If you’re going to sell to a store, I strongly suggest Chicago Music Exchange. They’ll tell you up front that they will give you 70% of what they will list it for. Then they’ll give you an offer, site unseen and stick to it. Most pleasant experiences I’ve ever had selling to a store.

I guess it’s easier to figure out the ones which are the definite keepers than which to let go.

I have rarely sold any guitars (2 or 3) hence now I’ve got nearly 30, and another 8-10 amps. All this gear is starting to weigh me down (not to mention the clutter of cases).
But I’ve still got plenty of room in my heart to love more guitars. Just not the space they take up. Sigh!! I’ll get to it soon… maybe.
I am in a similar boat. I ended up replacing a number of the ones I have sold. I am a little ahead of you on guitars and in the same ballpark on amps. I also have a few modelers. I, like you, still have room in my heart to love more. :)

I found that if I get a guitar out to sell, if I set and play it, it stays. I have tried the route of determining which ones are for sure staying. Then I start to wonder if I will miss something once I sell it and then will buy another one of them. That is what happened to me in the past.

I sold a Mira tonight using FB Marketplace. Took a few days to finally meet. I didn’t want to meet at my house—I’m fine with the garage when the weather is nicer, but I don’t need to be brining anyone in the house. My wife suggested the post office, which was perfect. Bright lobby and tables, which make it easy to see and inspect a guitar. Cameras all over the place and not too busy at night on New Year‘s. Easy cash transaction and I got my target price for it.

I bought a Kemper off of CL last weekend. Again, super easy.

Just some data, if anyone is interested.

I sold a Helix Floor tonight on Sweetwater's Gear Exchange. I'd listed it a week ago for $1,400. Got an offer for $1,200 and I countered for $1,275. They take 7.5%. I charged $50 for shipping on top of the $1,275. I bought the Helix new in 2021 for $1,071.

On Reverb, the average selling price of used Helix's has been $909-$1,202. I think I did alright with Sweetwater. I purposely avoided Reverb, based on what I thought were lower average selling prices and some general unfriendliness to sellers. I'd sold a CE24 on Sweetwater last year for $1,900, so I was comfortable with their process. I've bought a few things through their Gear Exchange, too.

I'd gotten a couple of completely unattractive trade offers for the Helix on FBM. Nothing from CL.

I'd also listed the Mira on SW, for $1,700. I'd listed it on FBM and CL for $1,600, and accepted $1,500. The Mira I'd bought for $778 a few months ago.

I keep hearing that the used guitar market has gone soft. I've gotten some killer deals the last year, but when I've sold things I've done fairly well. Not sure what to think, other than to be happy that some folks think the market is soft and will sell for less, while others are willing to pay more. I think part of it is what a person is buying and selling. The market for "nice" stuff still seems pretty good. Both the Mira and the Helix took about a week to sell each. I'm happy with what I got for them.

Back