They're asking about "LSchefman" On TGP

Thank you for that, because we're trying our best to protect the true identity of Batman
Hey, I know the perils of dealing with fame, which is why I keep such a low profile.

I mean, if I disclosed my real identity, I'd be swamped by requests for my favorite jeans, cologne, pizza, shampoo ... there's no end! Not that I don't appreciate the adulation, but there's a limit!

Hey, I know the perils of dealing with fame, which is why I keep such a low profile.

I mean, if I disclosed my real identity, I'd be swamped by requests for my favorite jeans, cologne, pizza, shampoo ... there's no end! Not that I don't appreciate the adulation, but there's a limit!
So… who are you?

Asking for a friend who won’t tell anyone

Oh my… I thought it was public knowledge who you are and where you are… you have a website with this info to promote your business.

All my posts are edited.
Thanks! There was a recent identity theft issue in my family that was maddening. Took almost two years of aggravation to resolve it.

You're right, it's difficult to promote personal services like composing, etc, socialize, and yet maintain a low profile. I really struggle with it.

Thanks! There was a recent identity theft issue in my family that was maddening. Took almost two years of aggravation to resolve it.

You're right, it's difficult to promote personal services like composing, etc, socialize, and yet maintain a low profile. I really struggle with it.
I know it's after the fact now, but I've have many clients who had to deal with this and while it's an evolving solution, if anyone else ever goes through this, please feel free to hit me on the side for some extra info that can help you get through it. It's a hassle any way you slice it, but I can give some credit tips, etc.

I came super close to this happening to me last year. I received a notification in the mail about a credit card trying to be opened in my name at Macy's. I called and talked to them. The woman I talked to gave me a lot of good advice.

The biggest thing she told me is something I have been passing on to everyone I know. This stopped things in their tracks. Sign up at all three credit report agencies and lock your credit file. Leave it locked until you know you are going to apply for credit somewhere then open it for a short time so they can pull the reports and lock it back down.

When I was on the phone with the first credit agency they put a notification out to the other two so everything that was in process was stopped and removed before any damage happened. They had my Wife's information and were trying the same things with her info.

These folks were trying to open all sorts of accounts in our names as well as trying to file our taxes. I was able to verify that they have ALL of my legit information. I now have to be aware of this for the rest of my life since my information is compromised and I have no idea how much it has been passed around. The headaches stopped when the credit files were locked and have stayed that way. I am just very lucky they used my real name and address in that Macy's application process. That is what set the whole thing off. Something didn't seem right to them so they notified me.

The biggest thing she told me is something I have been passing on to everyone I know. This stopped things in their tracks. Sign up at all three credit report agencies and lock your credit file. Leave it locked until you know you are going to apply for credit somewhere then open it for a short time so they can pull the reports and lock it back down.
Did that as soon as we found out. And made out a police report.

But still took a long time. Lots of things had to be cleaned up - including stolen credit card number charges, a fictitious bank account, a dentist buying a load of dental equipment with the card (!)...

This CAN be a good idea, but can also come with it's own set of hassles. (Minor, once you're used to them, but if you use credit regularly, it will cause delays for legitimate credit functions as well). Definitely required immediately if any fraud is detected. But I wouldn't advise everyone to go out and lock their credit immediately just to be safe.

That said, I have several clients who dealt with it once and have left their credit locked for years since, due to the hassle they had when it happened.

Side note: While this may "date" me, this is the very reason that I still carry actual cash and pay for meals, gas, etc. MOST of the time with cash. I'm convinced that every time you swipe that card for every single thing you buy, you're just putting your info in more places that can be hacked.

Not to offend anyone, but I see bank statements all the time where people pay a fee on every time they swipe their card and it adds up to enough money to pay one of their other bills every month. Just RIDICULOUS stuff, like swiping a card for a $1.00 fountain drink at a gas station (with a $1.50 fee for using the card) or my wife telling me that people come in and use a card to by one $.52 stamp. Fees or not, the more you swipe the more likely you are to a victim of fraud. (and this last line is not my opinion, it's fact. We have to take continuing ed class every year on money fraud and I see stats on this every year).

This CAN be a good idea, but can also come with it's own set of hassles. (Minor, once you're used to them, but if you use credit regularly, it will cause delays for legitimate credit functions as well). Definitely required immediately if any fraud is detected. But I wouldn't advise everyone to go out and lock their credit immediately just to be safe.

That said, I have several clients who dealt with it once and have left their credit locked for years since, due to the hassle they had when it happened.
I feel like I dodged a huge bullet with my issue. That was at least a year ago now. I don't apply for credit very often so I am fine with leaving it locked and unlocking it when I need to. I have all 3 of the apps on my phone and can unlock them from there.

Side note: While this may "date" me, this is the very reason that I still carry actual cash and pay for meals, gas, etc. MOST of the time with cash. I'm convinced that every time you swipe that card for every single thing you buy, you're just putting your info in more places that can be hacked.

Not to offend anyone, but I see bank statements all the time where people pay a fee on every time they swipe their card and it adds up to enough money to pay one of their other bills every month. Just RIDICULOUS stuff, like swiping a card for a $1.00 fountain drink at a gas station (with a $1.50 fee for using the card) or my wife telling me that people come in and use a card to by one $.52 stamp. Fees or not, the more you swipe the more likely you are to a victim of fraud. (and this last line is not my opinion, it's fact. We have to take continuing ed class every year on money fraud and I see stats on this every year).
After reading this, there is another thing I will recommend. Use CC machines that accept the NFC transmissions. You can then use your phone or a smart watch to perform the transaction. Those transactions do not carry the credit card number. They have a transaction number that is then decoded on the other end. If this information is intercepted they can't do anything with it. My new chip cards have this feature built into them now. This is a case where newer technology is actually helping this situation.

Also, I NEVER use my cards where they charge me to use them. That just isn't smart. You are throwing money away.

Back