The old "what makes a 10 top" debate

My quilted 10 :D

dottie_10_13_2021_by_klbryanphotography_desq85x-fullview.jpg

Hubba hubba.

I don't now what the exact specs are, but 10's to me always seem to have smooth, very even, consistent flame. No 'blank' areas, and no mineral streaks. The ones that meet all those criteria, but then have more elaborate figuring and patterning go to Artist grade.

But sometimes smooth, even and consistent can also be a bit boring because they're too 'perfect'.

There are the tops that don't make the 10 designation that have, to me, more interesting character even though the flame may not be completely consistent over the entire surface and/or there may be mineral streaks or 'blank' spots. I've certainly seen some non-10 tops that I thought were way cooler than some 10's.
This is pretty well it. A 10-top is supposed to be consistent in figuring across the entire top. It doesn't need to be 3-D or super tight or super flamey, just consistent.

I don't think mineral streaks disqualify a 10-top per se, though.

I have two "10 top" PRSi that IMHO have enough variation in the figuring that they could (should) have been "demoted" to non-10-top. And I have non-10-top PRSi that have the vaguest of figure fading that overall look more consistent - but I understand why they are not 10-tops, even if I think the tops look fantastic and have some great figuring/character.

Personally, I have 'never' been bothered about having a PRS with a 10-top and paying that 'extra' premium for what another has 'deemed' to be somewhat 'better'. Being an ALL-Natural occurrence, there is going to be a 'wide' array of different figuring styles, patterns and intensity. As long as the figuring is pretty 'strong' over the majority, I am happy.

Not one of my Guitars are 10-tops yet I think they all look 'stunning' and certainly not 'worse' guitars because whoever graded them thought they weren't good enough to get a 10. Some may 'prefer' the look of my guitars over some of their own '10-top' tops and others may prefer their 10 tops, it doesn't stop all the guitars being 'great' looking instruments that sound and play amazingly...

yeGur6L.jpg

zkGEMaA.jpg

aiWOrO2.jpg

just a few of my 'no 10-top' collection.

I'm sure there are '10-tops' with more consistency etc but I think everyone of my guitars have their own 'fingerprint' pattern that I 'like' hence one of the reasons I own. I'd not trade my guitars to have a '10' top version and to me, that 10 just means a 'higher' cost...

I agree with what many of the previous commenters have said. I've seen some non 10-tops that appealed to me way more than 10-tops, artist models, private stock for that matter. Granted, I'm very fortunate to own a 10-top. I do not take lightly the fact that I'm able to own one, but truth be told, when I went shopping for a PRS, it didn't matter to me if the guitar I chose was a 10-top or not. I just wanted a guitar that played great, sounded great, looked great, had everything I was looking for, and one that I loved. Just so happened I chose one that had been graded a 10-top.

Obviously, it's all subjective and to each their own because I would never criticize anyone for the their guitar of choice, but I've seen some absolutely hideous 10-tops and private stocks. I'm sure they may have played and sounded superb, yet they just didn't do it for me visually. I kind of relate it to expensive houses and expensive cars. Some may cost an exuberant amount of money, but if they aren't attractive to my eye and suitable to my needs I don't even think twice about them.

I consider myself very lucky to own a PRS and if someone has one that exceeds mine in cost, wood quality, etc. I'm more than happy for them because a lot of less fortunate people would be happy to own any one of the beautiful guitars that are shown on this forum.

Just my $0.02.

Back