The HDRX 20 is back from PRS!

Gonna go pick it up at Starr's Guitars in Cedaredge, CO this weekend.

Less than a month turn around time.

Not too bad.

No charge either. All covered under warranty.

I'll find out what the fuse blowing was all about and let you know.

Must not have been anything too serious tho.
Definitely share the repair diagnosis. I think there’s a bunch of us wondering if we should own one…. Stuff breaks, so unlikely to be a deal breaker for anyone, just would be good to know what happened.

Definitely share the repair diagnosis. I think there’s a bunch of us wondering if we should own one…. Stuff breaks, so unlikely to be a deal breaker for anyone, just would be good to know what happened.
Will do!

Usually with tube amps it's tube related and when an output tube goes bad it's not necessarily the fault of the amp maker...tubes go red and go up in smoke sometimes! That can take out a grid load resistor or burn a socket or cause other problems,

I'll bet some headliners change tubes before every show these days.

Last edited:
Will do!

Usually with tube amps it's tube related and when an output tube goes bad it's not necessarily the fault of the amp maker...tubes go red and go up in smoke sometimes! That can take out a grid load resistor or burn a socket or cause other problems,

I'll bet some headliners change tubes before every show these days.
Just Because A Tube Is New Doesn't Mean It Will Last Or Even Last Very Long...Especially Now A Days.

Glad It Was Sorted For You!

No charge as it was under warranty.

And the warranty is good for 5 years from the date of purchase on PRS amps. Good warranty.

New Fender's only have a 2 year warranty. Not nearly as good a warranty as PRS.

Gotta wonder what made the power transformer blow, although I have had it happen to hand wired Fenders from Fender's glory days too. It just happens.

But PRS took care of me and got it back to me quickly.

So thank you!

Last edited:
No charge as it was under warranty.

And the warranty is good for 5 years from the date of purchase on PRS amps. Good warranty.

New Fender's only have a 2 year warranty.

Gotta wonder what made the power transformer blow, although I have had it happen to hand wired Fenders from Fender's glory days too.

It happens.

But PRS took care of me and got it back to me quickly.

So thank you!
Their support is unmatched IMHO. Always been stellar to me.

I fuse both the hot 120 V and both HT secondary leads in my amps to keep that very thing from happening. You must’ve had a power supply or tube failure that pulled too much current the second time you turned the amp back on. If the windings are correctly protected, the PT shouldn’t fail unless it’s faulty. Sometimes factories will fuse the center taps which only lifts the ground of those windings and maintains standing voltages on them. Dangerous!

I fuse both the hot 120 V and both HT secondary leads in my amps to keep that very thing from happening. You must’ve had a power supply or tube failure that pulled too much current the second time you turned the amp back on. If the windings are correctly protected, the PT shouldn’t fail unless it’s faulty. Sometimes factories will fuse the center taps which only lifts the ground of those windings and maintains standing voltages on them. Dangerous!
No mention of a tube failure.

This was not an expensive amp...I'm willing to cut PRS some slack.

I haven't read that this is common issue. Probably just a 1 in a 1000 transformer like a 1 in a thousand Toyota that has a problem.

Besides, if the amp needs work anytime in the next 4 1/2 years it's covered.

Gotta like that.

Last edited:
I have to say, after playing my HDRX20 more the last two nights, I have no desire to sell it anytime soon. I'll take my time evaluating it, get the Silver Sky fixed and go from there. Honestly at this point I think it would need to be a "need the funds for another guitar or amp" thing before I'd sell it.

I was playing it Tuesday night with just the Black Magic Zendrive and it sounded GREAT! (Through the Zbest of course). I think that next I"m going to plug it back into the Power Station, crank that master up, throw my verb and delay in the PS loop, and see how that works out.

I have to say, after playing my HDRX20 more the last two nights, I have no desire to sell it anytime soon. I'll take my time evaluating it, get the Silver Sky fixed and go from there. Honestly at this point I think it would need to be a "need the funds for another guitar or amp" thing before I'd sell it.

I was playing it Tuesday night with just the Black Magic Zendrive and it sounded GREAT! (Through the Zbest of course). I think that next I"m going to plug it back into the Power Station, crank that master up, throw my verb and delay in the PS loop, and see how that works out.
Let us know - that sounds like fun!

So I had about an hour Thursday night. Didn't plug in the PS yet, but did crank the bass gain back up, and straight into the Zbest. Had to turn the bass control down a lot but got the NF3 plugged in and had a lot of fun. I'm finding a variety of pedals that just work great with it. The Barber Direct Drive is a champion! Amp11 is great! But last night, a new star emerged... the Timmy. I knew I had used it in only the way I normally do (adding a little gain, a little level, a little treble, and cutting a little bass) and it sounded really good. But to push it further into M land, was a simple twist of the gain knob. Pushing the gain up was fantastic! Now I have 3 pedals that truly push the pedal into REALLY great M tones... less 60s and more pushed 70s to 80s. Really good stuff. The problem is, I quickly discovered that I could be completely happy with any of the three... The Compact Direct Drive is a more Marshall sounding pedal. The other two are just "more" pedals, but when you add more gain and and adjust the tone controls correctly, you get REALLY nice tone that pushes way more towards pushed JCM800 tone, which is more my thing anyway than the older M tones the HDRX has without "assistance" from a pedal.

Further, I can take that tone and go lighter JCM, or pushed JCM quite easily. And even better, I can push THAT base tone with many different flavors of solo boosts. The Fulltone Fulldrive 3 is everything you'd expect. The Catalyst is also really nice when jack up in to it's Fuzz settings. (Those familiar with this pedal know that while it can be a mild OD, when pushed, it becomes pretty much square wave fuzz clipping). But as usual, THE ROCK STAR is the Black Magic Zendrive. There's just something about the note shape that thing provides. The attack of the notes takes on a fat chewy quality that is addictive.

Last week I played my Archon and Bogner and remembered "I thought I was done with pedal platform amps." But even pending the SS being functional and chasing the Jimi thing, I have 60s -80s M rhythm and solo tones and many of each, with just a few pedals. And I really like it!

That said, I am going to plug it into the PS, because cranking that master up does give it the overdriven PI thing which is a whole other world to explore. I'll also add that the two masters do make the amp a bit more... I won't say tricky but versatile... and requiring dial time, to master. Moving those bass and treble channel gain controls round really changes the amp. Seems like I have lots more exploring to do.

Has anyone posted a clip or video of this amp dimed? Love to hear it thick and juicy screaming for its life.
Thick, juicy and screaming for its life? What a horrible image and fantasy.

Mine did not sound like a Marshall on 11 when I tried it dimed.

Back