Gold tops rule. Let's see 'em.

Brazilian Rosewood McCarty.
i-tn5Xmwg-X3.jpg

DGT with old birds
i-X9qsTL8-X3.jpg

And Goldmember
i-6Ps5tBB-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome, Todd! I was wondering when we we see you and that ol' DGT again. Does it need a refret yet? ;)

My Goldtop is a Cu22 with an Indian Rosewood neck.

It's been upgraded with 57/08's from an ME2, unplated brass posts, pearl tuners, hybrid hardware, amber lampshades, and rosewood truss and control covers.

Incandescent light
cu2210.jpg

Natural light
cu2212.jpg

Backside
cu2225.jpg

Baimun said:
...It's been upgraded with 57/08's from an ME2...
Di d you know that ME2 pickups and 57/08's aren't identical? :shock: I didn't - until recently.

Hans said:
Baimun said:
...It's been upgraded with 57/08's from an ME2...
Di d you know that ME2 pickups and 57/08's aren't identical? :shock: I didn't - until recently.

I knew there were minor changes along the way... Early 57/08, MEII, later 57/08, TM's, all the way up to narrowfields, etc.

Winding differences or what? All I know is that these are way sweeter and more articulate than the Dragon II's or McCarty's that I tried in the guitar before.. and they split better than any humbucker I've ever used.

Baimun said:
Winding differences or what? All I know is that these are way sweeter and more articulate than the Dragon II's or McCarty's that I tried in the guitar before.. and they split better than any humbucker I've ever used.
I don't really know. I was politely corrected at NAMM 2012 when I drew the same comparison. I'll have to rely on those "in the know" to respond.

I'm basing it on when the ME II was released, they were listed on the PRS page as having 57/08 pickups.

From what I understood at the time, the only difference was the gold poles with the brushed covers.... but I was aware that was also during the time span when the windings (and resistance) were fluxuating up and down.

Baimun said:
I'm basing it on when the ME II was released, they were listed on the PRS page as having 57/08 pickups.

From what I understood at the time, the only difference was the gold poles with the brushed covers.... but I was aware that was also during the time span when the windings (and resistance) were fluxuating up and down.
Maybe that's what it was. Hmmm...

Well, either way, ME2 pups sounded killer in King Louis!

Back