Suggestions for Archtop II pickups

BlueTone

Hi all, new to this board but I have quite a history with PRS. I recently jumped back into the PRS camp (was absent for a few years making my own guitars) and acquired an Archtop II. I'm getting some noise when plugged in, the ground has been compromised. I was considering sending it to PTC to be fixed and perhaps installing some new pickups. I have two Hollowbodies, both have 57/08 pickups. Would that be the consensus of this board as the way to go?
Thanks,
Ric

The board is quite divided -- I think the top two most popular choices would be 57/08 and Archtop pickups. Not sure the latter is an option at the PTC (and they are markedly different from 57/08 pups), but you might be able to pick up some on the used market. There are also many wonderful after-market pickups -- Bareknuckle, Lollar, Fralin, Benedetto (my personal favourites, since they come in a 7-string variety), Bertolini...

Last edited:
I have Mira pickups in my HBII and love them. The guitar has a very slutty, red-light district tone, akin to a 335 but with more grit and less bass. If you're going to send it to the PTC, have them install the coil split toggle as it opens the guitar up to a multitude of pickup choices.

Thanks for the comments. I assume it has Archtop pickups, but I need to pull them to be sure. The guitar is a special order, quilted 10 top with Tiger Eye finish, possibly a BRW board, so it could have McCarty pickups but who knows, I'll have to take a look. It was custom made for Brian of Brian's Guitars in Connecticut, or so my Google sleuthing tells me.

Tiger's Eye is a rare finish that used to be only available on Private Stocks. Sounds like it might be an Artist Package. That came with the Archtop Treble and Bass pickups.

Check out this thread: http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/57-08-vs-archtops.16442/

I had the PTC swap out my Archtop pickups for 57/08s, and had them put in coil split switches. Best decision I've made with that guitar. I absolutely LOVE what they did, and the 57/08s are some of the best PAF-style, vintage style pickups I've used.

2016-08-15_21.03.34-e1471311414532.jpg
I suspected Artist Pkg as well until I saw the 10 inscribed on the headstock. Since it was a one off, it wouldn't be out of the question that it had McCarty pups, I need to check it out. Here it is. Btw, thanks for the link. Good stuff

Last edited:
2016-08-15_21.03.34-e1471311414532.jpg
I suspected Artist Pkg as well until I saw the 10 inscribed on the headstock. Since it was a one off, it wouldn't be out of the question that it had McCarty pups, I need to check it out. Here it is. Btw, thanks for the link. Good stuff

That's a looker! Dig it!

Back