Strings cutting into frets after 2 weeks of playing

mebolyard

I purchased my SE custom 24 about two weeks ago and have been playing it every day since. I love everything about the guitar. However, i noticed a couple days ago that the wound strings seemed to be digging into the frets and leaving groves in them. They are mainly from the low E string but there are some from the A and D as well. They are most prevalent on frets 1-6. I don't feel as though I'm pressing hard enough to leave marks.

I'm hesitant to play it cause I don't want to make it worse and I don't know if I should keep it. I have pictures but I'm not supposed to post links yet. I don't know if i should try and sand/polish them out or what. Any advice?

Most strings for electric guitars are harder than the fret material so dents in the frets are inevitable. I don’t know what strings you’re currently using but if you’re concerned about wear, you might try using pure nickel strings not merely nickel coated as they are softer. The unwound e,b and g strings in all sets are about the same hardness.

Most strings for electric guitars are harder than the fret material so dents in the frets are inevitable. I don’t know what strings you’re currently using but if you’re concerned about wear, you might try using pure nickel strings not merely nickel coated as they are softer. The unwound e,b and g strings in all sets are about the same hardness.
I still have the stock strings on it. I know eventually dents will develop, but what i have are scratches parallel to the frets where the strings have dug in and left channels.

Back