Sticky Neck Finish

DanMedawar

My SC245 has the Nitro finish. I love everything about the guitar except the way the neck gets sticky.
I have 2 other guitars w/ Tung Oiled necks and they are a dream to play.
So, I've been thinking of sanding of the finish, getting down to the wood and applying Tung Oil.

Has anyone done this, and what was your process of removing the Nitro?

Thanks!

I've never done it. I've seen it done. Sandpaper down to the wood. Don't try to sell it used after. you'll take a big hit.

That's kinda what I figured. Not worried about selling this one, it's a keeper and especially after this is done....

I'd use fine grits and go slow so as not to take off any wood.

Stewmac sells a micro-mesh kit that will do the job too.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Sanding/Micro-Mesh_Soft_Touch_Pads.html

There are a bunch of videos out there that show how to do this. I have a kit, but haven't had the time to get around to it yet. I've got a couple that I'd like to do.

Either that or the Scotch-Brite pads. Either will satin-ize the finish and the wood will be better protected than with tung oil.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Sanding_and_Polishing/3M_Scotch-Brite_Pads.html

I use a small piece of gray Scotch-Brite pads (fine grit). Tape off at the body & headstock for a more 'pro' result. Just lightly go over the neck with a cross-hatch pattern enough to smooth it out.
Normal playing will 'polish' it back up after awhile. Repeat if/when it gets too sticky again.

zY2YMDH.jpg
I had my SC250 sanded down to the wood and tung oiled. Huge improment in my eyes. Mine was painted black and would get so sticky.

Had a sticky nitro neck on my SC Trem,
A) make sure you get some air on it. Don't case queen it. It basically needs to fully cure/dry.
B) I put mine in the sun for a few days to accelerate the drying.
C) Sanded lightly with a 1000 grit sandpaper/scotchbrite.
D) Finished with 3x coats of Virtuoso cleaner and a few coats of the polish.

No more stick. Happy Camper.

I love the bare wood on mine. Both my keisels are tung oiled and i love them. My gibson are still finished neck but what ever gibson uses doesn't recact to my hand like the PRS finish does.

Back