Sound difference between stoptail, and trem bridge?

Al Touchet

I have a Custom 22 with the stoptail wraparound bridge. I'm just wondering what the diffence might be in tone comparing to a Custom 22 with the PRS trem. Same guitar or nearly same. What has been your experience?

Probably just as many opinions about this as there are about tonewoods.

;)

But, in general, it is thought [citation needed] that stop tails will have better sustain, because there isn't all that lossy trem-bridge bits, especially the actual saddles, to absorb the vibrations. Compare a strat to a tele, acoustically.

Al, I know just what you must be thinking:

"How do I convince my wife that although I already have a stop tail CU22 I love, I also need one with a trem?"

Here's how:

"Hon, the body cavity for the trem installation, the different mass of the trem block, and the springs combine to give the guitar a different type of resonant peak, which is the point in frequency response where the high frequencies begin to roll off but are emphasized, and of course the 'give' of a trem makes the playing experience a little different, so the result is a very different vibe. There's also a tiny but more 'twang'."

If your wife is anything like mine, at that point her eyes will glaze over, and she will say, "You lost me at 'resonant peak'. OK, get the damn guitar."

I have read many times that stop tail guitars sustain better and that trem guitars are more lively due to the interaction of the springs. I have owned plenty of both and I honestly don't know if I really hear a difference. If there is one, it has never really caught my attention. I have switched between a trem and stop tail many times at gigs and noticed no differences that IMHO were not related to the pickup configurations in the guitars or the woods in it. I typically have one of each guitar with me but I don't think that is fully by design. I think it may be more coincidence. I do like having a trem guitar with me but honestly don't use the trem much.

"How do I convince my wife that although I already have a stop tail CU22 I love, I also need one with a trem?"

Here's how:

"Hon, the body cavity for the trem installation, the different mass of the trem block, and the springs combine to give the guitar a different type of resonant peak, which is the point in frequency response where the high frequencies begin to roll off but are emphasized, and of course the 'give' of a trem makes the playing experience a little different, so the result is a very different vibe. There's also a tiny but more 'twang'."

If your wife is anything like mine, at that point her eyes will glaze over, and she will say, "You lost me at 'resonant peak'. OK, get the damn guitar."
Mine would want to know if it had brass saddles and what the tone cap values are. She's learned much!

In my experience, guitars with identical specs except for one component don't sound noticeably different unless you're doing a side by side comparison (different pickups being an exception).

Where you will likely notice a difference between stoptail and trem is the tuning stability. I have only one guitar with a trem and I installed a Tremol-No since, as someone who really digs into the strings, I find myself retuning a trem guitar after every song.

In my experience, guitars with identical specs except for one component don't sound noticeably different unless you're doing a side by side comparison (different pickups being an exception).

Where you will likely notice a difference between stoptail and trem is the tuning stability. I have only one guitar with a trem and I installed a Tremol-No since, as someone who really digs into the strings, I find myself retuning a trem guitar after every song.
I am betting this is a setup or nut issue. I have a number of trem guitars that are not locking systems like a Floyd that you can dive the arm to the body and it will come back up in tune. This is across at least 3 brands of instruments.

I recently decked my PRS. The stability was absolutely noticeable right away. I've never been a tremolo user, except for slight variations with my palm on the bridge. I've learned to live without that, and have enjoyed playing hours at a time without having to tune! I didn't really notice any tonal changes, but I am a lot happier with the guitar!

I am betting this is a setup or nut issue.
I used to think that too, but it happens on every trem guitar I play. I also have an issue with them in which the initial attack of notes is sharp and returns to pitch if held (or if I'm playing something high tempo, everything is just sharp). I'm pretty sure it's something about how I pick, and fixing the bridge is the easiest solution I've found.

This is a bad habit! Another tuning issue I've discovered and is prevalent on my current PRS, is while playing I inadvertently apply pressure between my right arm and my grip on the neck. This would pull my tuning just the slightest out of tune. I started noticing I was doing this while recording. I was unaware of this on many of my other guitars because they had a stiffer frame.

I used to think that too, but it happens on every trem guitar I play. I also have an issue with them in which the initial attack of notes is sharp and returns to pitch if held (or if I'm playing something high tempo, everything is just sharp). I'm pretty sure it's something about how I pick, and fixing the bridge is the easiest solution I've found.
I am inclined to agree with this below. It has to be a technique thing then. If you are putting pressure on the trem with the palm of your right hand, that will sharpen the pitch for sure. I played a lot of trem guitars back in the 80's and 90's so I am very used to playing them. In fact, I like the feel of the trem under my right hand more than a stop tail. I like that they feel closer to the body.

This is a bad habit! Another tuning issue I've discovered and is prevalent on my current PRS, is while playing I inadvertently apply pressure between my right arm and my grip on the neck. This would pull my tuning just the slightest out of tune. I started noticing I was doing this while recording. I was unaware of this on many of my other guitars because they had a stiffer frame.
There are so many little things like this that can cause issues that we think is an issue with the guitar. If there is an issue every time someone plays a guitar with a trem, it isn't the guitar.

I recently decked my PRS. The stability was absolutely noticeable right away. I've never been a tremolo user, except for slight variations with my palm on the bridge. I've learned to live without that, and have enjoyed playing hours at a time without having to tune! I didn't really notice any tonal changes, but I am a lot happier with the guitar!
Yup.
I blocked mine for stability and tighter bending.
It might be imagination, but I thought the sound off the rounded trem saddles had a touch of zing like from using a slide, but not as pronounced, that I did not pick up on a stoptail.

Mine would want to know if it had brass saddles and what the tone cap values are. She's learned much!

Wow

I love the differences between my guitars with trems and fixed bridges.

As @BrianC says, trem gives natural reverb and in my experience further resonance.

My SE245 is an incredibly resonant guitar, with an “import” fixed (non adjustable) bridge. For an all mahogany body, it’s a very bright sounding guitar also.

Here's how:

Agree completely. MUCH more 'give' in the strings with a trem bridge.
Les, if you'd like to set up a Zoom call with your wife, we're ready to jump in to close the deal.

The tone is quite different, although it can be treated with spring tension. The more important factor IMO is whether you plan on grabbing the wang dipper. If not, there's really no point, although the biggest tonal difference I get out of my Strat-style guitars is using bent saddles like the classic Fenders, and THEN you'll notice it even more.

I think PRS trems are the "biggest" or fullest sounding trems, if that makes sense. PRS did a great job of getting alot of the stoptail sound in their trem equipped guitars.

That said, I do find a few differences which may make a player prefer one or the other. In a similar spec'd PRS, I find the wrap around stoptail guitars to have a bit more low and low-mid content, stronger fundamental/more punch and a bit stiffer feeling and responding.

Agree completely. MUCH more 'give' in the strings with a trem bridge.
Les, if you'd like to set up a Zoom call with your wife, we're ready to jump in to close the deal.
No worries, she always says yes, because I only get new guitars when a big project comes in and she's got plenty of spending loot! :)

Here's how:

Damn Les..... you oughta charge for that advice!!! You'd make a fortune off of me!! (just don't tell my wife) ;)

Back