Softube Modular - Software Eurorack Style Synth

László

Too Many Notes
As you no doubt know, I am a fan of hardware over software synths because of sound quality for the most part, but I've found one that really sounds a cut above, and it's not only cool, it's inexpensive.

Softube is one of Scandinavia's best audio software companies, justifiably known for their plugin quality. This is their first synth model. They created it with input from the inventors of the Eurorack format, Doepfer, and from Intellijel, who also make hardware synths. Other companies are also licensed to offer additional modules, but the stock instrument comes with 26 modules of varying kinds, and lots of presets for those who scratch their heads when it comes to creating a modular layout.

I installed this upon its release yesterday, and it kind of surprised me. It's one of only a half-dozen "analog modeled" synths I'd actually be eager to use on a project. Unlike most modeled synths, it didn't get lost in a mix with real instruments (including tracks created with my hardware Prophet 12, and real guitar tracks). The sound quality compares with the latest from u-he, Waldorf, Xfer, and may even be an improvement over the new Arturia and XILS Labs stuff. In other words, it's going to sit well in a mix.

The downside? It's CPU-hungry, so best to have a fast computer to run it, or run it on its own sync'd machine. I had no trouble using it with other plugins on a recent Mac system running Logic's latest version, that does a better job assigning tasks to multiple processors.

On the Mac, the window is scalable, and the plugin is very simple to operate if you know how to create a patch on a modular synth. In fact, even if you don't, you can use the presets to tweak and create your own versions of the various patches.

In all, I like this plugin, it surprised me. If you hadn't told me it was a model, and played a track with it, I could have been fooled into thinking it was analog.

Here's what it looks like:

__modular__300w.jpg

When people ask me what analog synthesizers I have, I always include the Nord Modular and Roland JP8080, and when they try to correct me, I shush 'em, and say in a mock whisper, "quiet, they think they're analog." I don't want 'em thinking any different.

Last edited:
When people ask me what analog synthesizers I have, I always include the Nord Modular and Roland JP8080, and when they try to correct me, I shush 'em, and say in a mock whisper, "quiet, they think they're analog." I don't want 'em thinking any different.

The JP8080 actually sounds surprisingly analog if it's run through a hardware analog filter, like a Moogerfooger. I had one in the studio for a while.

The JP8080 actually sounds surprisingly analog if it's run through a hardware analog filter, like a Moogerfooger. I had one in the studio for a while.
Yup, or my favourite secret weapon, a tube buffer of some sort. I would listen direct with a tube headphone amplifier (Wheatfield HA-2/AudioValve RKV Mk...2?/ASL MG Head clone/XiangSheng something-or-other), or run it through the Musical Fidelity X-10D for recording.

Back