So I Compared a PRS CU22 and CU24 Today

oceantracks

I have owned both of these guitars over the years, eventually sold them for whatever reason, went back to Les Pauls, etc.

Now I'm in the market for one again. But which? I could not remember enough about either to make a decision so fortunately Sam Ash had one of each around (actually more than one of each).

I'm not a modern metal guitarists, and play pop, country, classic rock, etc.

So I just plugged into a little Vox AC10 and went off into a corner a played away.

First off, the 24 with it's extra frets felt great. It was roomy without being ridiculously "long" feeling.

The sound was very HI FI, and very clear. Neck was a Pattern regular, and felt great. This was quite a nice guitar.

Then I plugged in the 22. If the CU24 was sleek slap across your face when hitting a power chord, the CU22 was punch in the nose. It was more "rocky," less hi fi (not by much, but a little) and DEFINITELY had more sustain.

Hitting an A chord as in the open to "Won't Get Fooled Again" seemed to ring out at least two seconds longer than the CU24.

All the clean sounds seemed more ....well..."full" as well.

But I felt slightly cramped with the 22, like I felt almost trapped with this thing on my lap. I felt constricted.

Went back to the 24.....ah, the comfort was back. And the sound was great. Just not QUITE as fat, punchy, etc, more clear, and again, "hi fi"......

Two winning guitars.

One feels better, one sounds slightly cooler to me.

Tough choice.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Tom

Put a fresh set of strings on 24 then compare. It's all about the setup man.so.if they need one then its a stab in the dark.

I see your dilemma . The only answer is to own both! haha....I've been battling the same thoughts. The CU22 does not come offered with a Pattern Regular neck though. So if you like that profile (which I do) go with that.
Also, the 22 has 57/08's which are a little lower output and vintage sounding compared to the 59's which are in the 24. I own both pickups in my CU24's and there is definitely a noticeable difference between the two.
I'd say, if you like the feel of the 24, go with it and get an extra set of 57's down the road. If you get bored with one you can switch.

Well, that's weird, because the CU22 seemed to have fatter neck, what was it then? I liked it. I actually liked both necks. Maybe since I kind of grew up on Gibsons as a kid in the Sixties that's why the 22's pickups sounded nicer to me, they definitely rang out longer. I spend a lot of time on the bridge pickups, and both guitars sounded really nice on the bridge, but the
22 had more bite.

Also, the 22 did that "both pickups on" sound better than the 24, it seemed....

yes I need both guitars!

Sounds like you want a 24 with the 22s pups. Im not sure if they were the same or not. Might want to look into it.

Well, that's weird, because the CU22 seemed to have fatter neck, what was it then? I liked it. I actually liked both necks. Maybe since I kind of grew up on Gibsons as a kid in the Sixties that's why the 22's pickups sounded nicer to me, they definitely rang out longer. I spend a lot of time on the bridge pickups, and both guitars sounded really nice on the bridge, but the
22 had more bite.

Also, the 22 did that "both pickups on" sound better than the 24, it seemed....

yes I need both guitars!

JMO...My feeling is that a stiffer neck should provide more sustain. 22 fret necks are, all other things being equal, shorter and therefore stiffer on average than 24 fret necks. As you have noted the 24 fret neck pickup placement does however provide a different frequency response at a given fretboard position, that I personally find pleasing. The pickups IMO will have very little bearing on the sustain most of the time (i.e. not close enough to cause stratitis, etc. )

Also being a '60s guy and a Gibson player until going PRS in 1991...

Lately I've preferred the CU24, and I can't explain why, because for a long time I preferred the CU22 and McCarty. In my case, it just might come down to the individual guitar making the difference.

I love with Pattern neck, and have that on my McCarty Singlecut, but the Regular that came on my CU24 sure feels nice, too. Maybe it's best just to go with your gut and not overthink it.

Because the pups are further apart the neck pup on the Cu22 sounds better.
I actually like the shorter length of the Cu22 BUT not the higher-fret access which is miles better on a Cu24.
I think Cu22 sounds better (way more pup definition between the two due to the distance) but Cu24 is easier to play.

Things, like sustain, are characteristics I consider to be individual to the guitar, not the model. If one rings longer and feels better - regardless of the model - go for it. To me, that's just a better guitar. Choose the model for the features and comfort...choose the individual guitar for the "magic".

Things, like sustain, are characteristics I consider to be individual to the guitar, not the model. If one rings longer and feels better - regardless of the model - go for it. To me, that's just a better guitar. Choose the model for the features and comfort...choose the individual guitar for the "magic".

Sage advice, this!

Back