Simple, Complex Or...?

Single channel with a custom Barber dual overdrive pedal. I get spankin' clean, mild overdrive and all out distortion. I've had a few Boogies and Fuchs channel switchers but never got pleasing to me sounds out of them. I have heard quite a few folks sound great through those amps, so it's just me. My favorite amp of all times is a Dr. Z Therapy. Pleases every time I play it.

Hmmmmm....if I was using a tube amp I'd say I like simple amps, my last toobers were a Bad Cat Cub IV 15R and a Vox AC15. The Bad Cat had very basic switching - boost and reverb. The Vox was, well, a Vox. Simple and awesome.

However, I use a "complicated" device (Line 6 Helix) to make VERY simple one channel amp rigs. Most of my patches are:

- Amp model
- IR of one of my former cabinets (had them all profiled before I sold them) close mic'd
- IR of one of my former cabs captured with a room mic

I blend the two cabs together with a lot of emphasis on the 'room mic' IR because that's where the depth to the sound lives.

I have TONS of patches where it's just the same amp with same settings, just saved with different cabs. I have always believed that you get more tonal differences with different speakers than anything else.

VH4 Channel 2? Einstein? Shiva? Roccaforte? SLO? Wizard?
I've never played through a Diezel or Wizard amp. The only Diezel dealer near me doesn't stock them, they're special order. Haven't seen a Wizard in person, either.

Send me yours, and I'll let you know! :)

I've played through the rest, and owned a single-channel Roccaforte that I liked very much (my son needed it, so it went out to LA).

I've never played through a Diezel or Wizard amp. The only Diezel dealer near me doesn't stock them, they're special order. Haven't seen a Wizard in person, either.

Send me yours, and I'll let you know! :)
You Are Really Missing Out. I Believe You Would Absolutely Love Both. How Does A "Dealer" Not Stock The Product That They "Deal"?

Shoot Me Your Address And I Will Get Them Right Out To You. :)

Single channel, master volume and effects loop allows me to dial in a good sound at a reasonable volume and keep my time based effects away from the preamp.

Simple.

My favorite amps are blackface Fenders w/reverb.

I play my HDRX 20 watt mostly because it's a better rock amp and my pedal board is stocked with pedals that make it sound great.

But I'll never part with my 60 year old Deluxe Reverb and Princeton Reverb amps.

Last edited:
Simple.

My favorite amps blackface Fenders w/reverb.

I play my HDRX 20 watt mostly because it's a better rock amp and my pedal board is stocked with pedals that make it sound great.

But I'll never part with my 60 year old Deluxe Reverb and Princeton Reverb amps.

Yep.

I have a 1964 Deluxe and a 1965 Champ.
They are my forever amplifiers.

For a live in the room amp, I'm somewhere in between. I'd go for a two channel amp, and my needed pedals. In the front of the amp, I'd have a tuner; gate; wah; overdrive/boost/distortion (depending on how good the dirty tones of the amp are for what I need); and a phaser. In the loop I'd have a reverb (if the amp doesn't have reverb, or the in built reverb isn't to my liking); delay; and maybe a chorus.

For anything more complicated or if I need any kind of wacky effects setups, I'll use a modeler, straight to front of house or run it via 4CM depending on what's needed.

Prs Archon gets 99% of my play time. I'm pretty accustomed to it; the only thing I wish it had was a middle channel that sounds like a Mesa Boogie California Tweed. I'm still waiting for the MT100.

In terms of complexity, I need channel switching, effects loop, and tubes, and that's about it for features. My pedalboard is more complicated, but I think I use it to good effect.

Life Is Too Short To Ever Be Afraid. Do It! You Will Thank Me Later. :)
Ordinarily I'd agree!

But adding another amp to my setup would involve unloading and moving bookshelves to make room, and the docs say, "No way."

Being a heart patient sucks, but on the other hand, at least I don't have to shovel snow or move furniture. So that's kind of a wash.

Ordinarily I'd agree!

But adding another amp to my setup would involve unloading and moving bookshelves to make room, and the docs say, "No way."

Being a heart patient sucks, but on the other hand, at least I don't have to shovel snow or move furniture. So that's kind of a wash.
Try the Synergy modular system. I'm blown away by how good it happened to be

I'd bet it sounds great!

Quite a while back, Bruce Egnater designed a similar kind of modular product for a line of amps - maybe Randall?

It did sound good. I think it's an excellent concept.

On the other hand, I feel pretty darn content with my current amps, except I would eventually like a Komet, just because.

I'd bet it sounds great!

Quite a while back, Bruce Egnater designed a similar kind of modular product for a line of amps - maybe Randall?

It did sound good. I think it's an excellent concept.

On the other hand, I feel pretty darn content with my current amps, except I would eventually like a Komet, just because.
Egnater is still behind this, along with Friedman, Diezel, Fryette and a few others. They joined forces in ekhm, synergy ;)

I Have Often Been Tempted To Dive In But The Fact They Only Have A Single Or Double Platform To Start With For Powering The Modules Left Me Wanting More. Several Of The Actual Modules Sound Really Good Though. I Feel The Start Up Cost To Power The Modules Is High To Get Going On And I Already Have More Amps Than I Know What To Do With So Then There Is That. Aside From My Amps I Have Some Kempers So I Am Already In The Weeds As Far As Non Traditional Amps. I Would Be Remiss If I Didn't Say That I Ponder The Synergy Stuff Every Few Months. If I Didn't Have What I Have I Would Definitely Go That Way A One Avenue For my Sonic Needs.

I Have Often Been Tempted To Dive In But The Fact They Only Have A Single Or Double Platform To Start With For Powering The Modules Left Me Wanting More. Several Of The Actual Modules Sound Really Good Though. I Feel The Start Up Cost To Power The Modules Is High To Get Going On And I Already Have More Amps Than I Know What To Do With So Then There Is That. Aside From My Amps I Have Some Kempers So I Am Already In The Weeds As Far As Non Traditional Amps. I Would Be Remiss If I Didn't Say That I Ponder The Synergy Stuff Every Few Months. If I Didn't Have What I Have I Would Definitely Go That Way A One Avenue For my Sonic Needs.
Each module has two channels. With two module 1U unit, you get four channels total; you can also link multiple SYN-2s together. I say it's not a bad number for the size/price

Knowing Me, I Would Want All The Modules And Make A Refrigerator Rack And That Would Get Pricey. :)
Haha, yeah, I have seen this before. I feel complete with my amp and single-module unit (Diezel Herbert, I may try Uberschall sometimes), but I understand people want all flavours under their fingertips. I may eventually upgrade to SYN-2, the two-module version for some British crunch, but this is the last thing occupying my mind now.

Back