Silver Sky defect? :(

greenlemon

Hi everyone !

I have been a big fan of John Mayer and it was a dream for myself to get a hold on the Silver Sky.

I managed to save enough to purchase a Silver Sky. However, I was disappointed to find out that my Silver Sky had some defect. The rosewood fretboard near the end of the headstock appears to be irregular and not clean. It does not affect any playability but it is cosmetically not appealing.

I haven't noticed similar experience with other S-style guitar brands. It is a shame as this is my first time using a PRS guitar.

https://ibb.co/vHyrnWr (photo of the SS)

vHyrnWr

vHyrnWr

vHyrnWr

I have contacted the PRS customer service but they weren't able to do anything :(

Last edited:
If you have a problem with a guitar, you deal with the place where you bought it. Why did you not contact the dealer?

What do you mean when you say that PRS customer service wasn’t able to do anything? That sounds very odd

If you have a problem with a guitar, you deal with the place where you bought it. Why did you not contact the dealer?

What do you mean when you say that PRS customer service wasn’t able to do anything? That sounds very odd

I contacted the dealer but the response I received was: "Unfortunately we don't see a fault at all in the picture provided."

I have contracted the PRS customer service after contacting the dealer

I contacted the PRS customer service, and this was their reply: "Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. I’ve reviewed this photo with some of our QC managers and concluded that this would be within spec for the tolerances allowed on the Silver Sky models. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

I do not see a “fault” either. Rosewood can be porous, and the edge of the fretboard just shows this. If you are not happy with the guitar, you should be able to return it. If the dealer won’t accept returns, I would not deal with them again.

I do not see a “fault” either. Rosewood can be porous, and the edge of the fretboard just shows this. If you are not happy with the guitar, you should be able to return it. If the dealer won’t accept returns, I would not deal with them again.
I agree with this. I see what greenlemon speaks of. Unclean looking? I suppose the pores of rosewood make it appear that way. The scalloped part of the rosewood is razor thin as it meets the maple on the headstock. Since the rosewood has pores, that’s how it appears. Maybe that scallop/bevel is done after the board is glued to the neck. I wouldn’t really call it a defect, nor would it bother me. But it’s not my guitar- if you contacted the dealer within the return period and stated you were unhappy for any reason, they should allow the return. If after the return period, it’s on you for not inspecting to be sure you were satisfied.

I agree with this. I see what greenlemon speaks of. Unclean looking? I suppose the pores of rosewood make it appear that way. The scalloped part of the rosewood is razor thin as it meets the maple on the headstock. Since the rosewood has pores, that’s how it appears. Maybe that scallop/bevel is done after the board is glued to the neck. I wouldn’t really call it a defect, nor would it bother me. But it’s not my guitar- if you contacted the dealer within the return period and stated you were unhappy for any reason, they should allow the return. If after the return period, it’s on you for not inspecting to be sure you were satisfied.

I have purchased from a dealer via Reverb. However, I live in overseas so it is difficult for me to return the item at this stage :(

Sorry to hear that man. If it will help, mask off both sides of that area with painters tape, and color it with a Sharpie or other marker. Maybe it will look better to you and ease your mind a bit. I think that you have a fine guitar, and it looks great, even with a minor cosmetic issue.

I managed to save enough to purchase a Silver Sky. However, I was disappointed to find out that my Silver Sky had some defect. The rosewood fretboard near the end of the headstock appears to be irregular and not clean. It does not affect any playability but it is cosmetically not appealing

I have purchased from a dealer via Reverb. However, I live in overseas so it is difficult for me to return the item at this stage :(

So... what do you expect PRS to do? I mean in a perfect world & anything is possible, what would you consider proper resolution?

This.

I wouldn’t go inspecting for slight “imperfections”. As PRS said that’s completely normal. Stand back and you won’t even notice that. Doesn’t effect playability. I would not advise returning it back for that.

Personally, I wouldn’t mess with it. My opinion is you likely won’t make it look better. If you really can’t live with it, see if they’ll still allow you to return it. Yeah, the cost of shipping will suck, but if you see it as a defect and can’t live with it, that’s your option unless you can sell it locally without the cost of shipping exceeding the hit you take selling a brand new guitar as used.

Again, I would stop thinking about it and enjoy the guitar.

Back