Shipping Guitars

alekkas

Hi all. Used be around here a lot in olden times. angelo was my log in. Had to re register.

Just curious, what is the cost of shipping guitars these days? I recall it being around $60 insured in the old days. Where are we at now? Thanks for any info. Going to move a 35th anniversary strat and a Melancon Custom artist.

Depends upon distance and value (insurance). Best thing to do is create an account (I prefer FedEx). You can enter info on line (and get a cost estimate), print labels and the price will be much lower than if you just walk in to a "company store".

Agree, depends on the details, but the cheapest lately has been $46, most expensive $75.

Do get yourself an account though. I shipped from Chicago to Florida last week from a UPS Store. Here was the breakdown of shipping:
Ground Commercial: $66.89
Service Options ($3k declared value ins): $63.25
Additional Handling (boxes more than 48 inches on their longest side): $15.50
CMS Processing Fee (no clue): $0.20
Total: $145.84

Probably would have been 30% less if I would have opened an account and printed my own label. Lesson learned.

I shipped an "employee" CU24 last week with $1,000 to cover my insurance deductible, and total shipping cost was $37. As mentioned previously, the limit of insurance will dramatically affect the shipping cost. I have a UPS (and FedEx) account.

Interestingly, Reverb advertises low shipping rates, but the estimate was twice my cost through my personal account.

Also, while not part of your question, when shipping, make sure you pack the inside if the guitar case as well as the box. Allow NO MOVEMENT! And take photos of your packing for proof if damaged while in the shipper's control.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Looks like that $60 ballpark insured is still in the game. Thanks. It will help me estimate. BTW - both guitars will likely be insured $2K or less. I'll be thinking somewhere 60-80. Do have my own UPS options....

Back