Settings for a Fender ( Victoria Amplifier Company ) Tweed Bassman with Half Power Switch for Guitar and Bass.

Mike63

Hello,

I have a Victoria Amplifier Company 45410 tweed amplifier with a factory half-power switch, which is their take on the 1959 Fender tweed Bassman. These are classic amps and thundering monsters that many people buy but can't play because they are too big and too loud. Mine has a factory half-power switch so it can be played at reasonable volumes with a guitar, but I'm also an upper beginner / lower intermediate bass player and it's awesome for practicing and recording bass.

Now to the point : If you have played a similar amp, can you give me ballpark settings on the eq that you like for guitar and bass in clubs and / or recording ?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Setting everything to about noon is a good starting point on the Tweeds. As volume increases, it is generally wise to shave off some bass, but at lower volumes it will provide body and a solid tonal foundation.

Bump the treble and midrange up or down a bit to taste … treble on 7 or 8 and midrange between, say, 4 and 7 to shape the body of the tone would be typical. Presence to taste to tailor the highs, maybe around 4 or just shy of noon.

That would be my starting point, going into the normal (not bright) input. Jump channels and increase volume to taste.

Alternately, you could employ the Matt Schofield technique of listening to each pot and setting each pot to the point of most change such that your touch and dynamics can capitalize on riding that hinge. He details that approach in one of the ThatPedalShow videos he did. It is interesting and useful to find those points on the potentiometers.

Enjoy, great amp! I have a V-Front Victoria 35210 (Super) with old glass that I love, and ‘66 and ‘65 Super Reverbs that have been scratching my 4x10 itch, but I’d love to add a 45410 / Tweed Bassman to the mix.

Thanks !! I've been looking around the internet for how people use theirs, and also JTM45 settings as it came out of the Bassman. I appreciate your answer.

Back