SE Swamp Ash Special

Music Store Live in CA has a few (maybe 4) Iri Blue in stock. They were kind enough to send me photos of the actual guitars. Two of them are under 8 lbs, There are some out there in PA as well. Not too hard to find if you don't mind looking and if you don't have to try before you buy.

Lampshades, TRC, lockers photo...not a good one, just one I snapped while setting up to do some recording over the weekend.

IMG-7910.jpg

And I placed an order at the end of Nov 2023.
Then they were gone.
Ive heard that April 2024 they may be back in stock.
I don't need another electric, but the Iris Blue finish and the pickup configuration sold me on it.
The wait gives me time to make more "mad" money to pay for one.

Where can I get the proper lampshade control knobs for SE pots?

And does anyone have the Mann locking tuners as opposed to the PRS locking tuners?

This is my one-day-of-ownership review that I recently posted at TGP:

I just bought one before the SE sale ended. Got the sunburst because I love the contrast with the cream pickup rings.
I literally received it yesterday afternoon, unboxed it, tuned it up (it was already close) and took it to a gig last night.
I used it for about 60% of the gig with the other 40% being played on my PRS Vela VR.

The SAS SE (or Sassy as I've heard it called) is an incredible guitar with, I think, a great variety of useable tones, from ripping humbuckers to super-quacky single-coil sounds. I've heard that some owners haven't bonded with the pickup selection choices, but I've found them pretty pleasing so far.
Last night I was using my main gigging amp (Bad Cat Bobcat) and main pedalboard w/ a variety of crap in it (including OCD, HoF, Plumes, Canyon, etc) and the combo worked perfectly.
For me, the most likeable feature of the SAS is the satin finish maple neck and fretboard. While I've always said that they're great guitars for the money, I've never bonded with any previous SE model because of the neck feel and finish. Last week I played a new SE CE24 at Guitar Center and was floored at how much I liked the neck feel and that in turn inspired me to search out a SAS SE. That SE CE24 was nice, too, but I prefer 22 frets over 24.

This Swamp Ash Special will definitely be one of my go-to gig guitars.

IMG-0229.jpg

I live in the southern US and trust me, swamp ash is getting scarce. My guess is they'll make the SAS for as long as the wood supply holds out and then that will be the end of the run.
No denying swamp ash supplies are down, but if they are as scarce as that scare then I doubt PRS would be using it for a se, much less include it in the sale. That would be a surefire path for PRS and nobody else to have it anymore, including customers. Doesn't make a ton of business sense to me.

As long as I can still buy body blanks for a fair price on fleabay I'm not going to sweat it.. just yet. Even if that's with a bit of fingers crossed.

The SE is named the Swamp Ash Special since that’s the original name. I highly doubt PRS is harvesting Swamp Ash from USA, shipping to Indonesia to manufacture an $800 guitar and then ship back.

Bet they get ash (which grows outside of the south) from Java for the SE.

B6ZaiF5.jpeg

I wonder how many ash trees have been cut down in the US in the last 2 or 3 years because of the emerald ash borer? I also wonder if it’s a problem in Java? Now is the time to buy ash because of the borer. And I’m really surprised at the sounds of my SE SAS.

I just bought one before the SE sale ended. Got the sunburst because I love the contrast with the cream pickup rings.
I literally received it yesterday afternoon, unboxed it, tuned it up (it was already close) and took it to a gig last night.
I used it for about 60% of the gig with the other 40% being played on my PRS Vela VR.

The SAS SE (or Sassy as I've heard it called) is an incredible guitar with, I think, a great variety of useable tones, from ripping humbuckers to super-quacky single-coil sounds. I've heard that some owners haven't bonded with the pickup selection choices, but I've found them pretty pleasing so far.
Last night I was using my main gigging amp (Bad Cat Bobcat) and main pedalboard w/ a variety of crap in it (including OCD, HoF, Plumes, Canyon, etc) and the combo worked perfectly.
For me, the most likeable feature of the SAS is the satin finish maple neck and fretboard. While I've always said that they're great guitars for the money, I've never bonded with any previous SE model because of the neck feel and finish. Last week I played a new SE CE24 at Guitar Center and was floored at how much I liked the neck feel and that in turn inspired me to search out a SAS SE. That SE CE24 was nice, too, but I prefer 22 frets over 24.

IMG-0229.jpg

Very nice.

IMG-0229.jpg
Dave,
Nice review.

Have had the Iris Blue SAS for a little over two weeks now and literally haven't touched any of my other guitars since. It's so versatile, man. You can do so many tones so well and it plays so smooth. I've been particularly interested in just trying to get a good single coil tone out of it and have struck gold with a great patch on the Headrush MX5 that turns it into a full blown quack machine.

Not sure if links are allowed but I recorded this today as an example.

Back