SE so why an S2?

revtime

I am ignorant of some of the differences. I currently have a 594 SE. I added locking tuners and core pickup rings and lampshade knobs.
The S2 has the same pickups as the SE. So would it be worth it to "upgrade" to the S2?
What would be different besides the obvious US vs Indo build?

I am ignorant of some of the differences. I currently have a 594 SE. I added locking tuners and core pickup rings and lampshade knobs.
The S2 has the same pickups as the SE. So would it be worth it to "upgrade" to the S2?
What would be different besides the obvious US vs Indo build?
I just got one myself, and its stellar! I've also had the S2 594. The SE also has the same electronics.

The S2 should have a one piece hog body, a maple cap with no veneer and a scarf joint neck. There may be a different type finish on the S2, on the SE its poly. Also I think the stain/paint on the S2 is higher grade. These things can make a better axe in some respect and its really up to the end user.

I'm having better time with the SE 594, I don't know why.

Of course, you should try the S2 and see how you feel about it :). I'm not an expert, and others should weigh in.

I’m an older new player, just for context. I started with an SE Custom 22. I got an S2 Studio, and subsequently sold the SE. seriously though, the SE was a fine guitar. The S2 carve is a bit more comfortable. It’s more comfortable than my core Santana as well. Is the S2 built better? Maybe. Maybe not. The S2’s are a nice sweet spot if made in USA and “I want something more (expensive) than the lowest price PRS” are important to you. Would I buy another SE? Absolutely if I ever find one that scratches a particular itch. All my itches are amp related at the moment. Anyway, just a ramble from a new old guy. Or old new guy………

There's tons of discussions on here about se vs s2. I'll say, I used to be strong in the se camp, and then I picked up my s2 Vela.. Now I get it. I immediately see, feel, and hear the difference between the two lines anytime I go into a music store.

I love my se Cu24 30th floyd. Modded as far as you can go with the bones provided. It's a absolutely killer killer guitar. Stock, it was great, too. I actually called the guy the next day to thank him. I've since moved my Indo se Cu24 for core, and haven't thought twice, but thats another discussion. I've said it before, if I was to do my PRS journey over I'd start with a s2 standard without a doubt.

There's a difference on paper and in real life between the lines. The biggest factor is budget because both lines are quality. Enjoy the guitar that works for you. There's always more.. and make no mistake, PRS are VERY addictive that multiply like Gremlins.

If one really wants to know the difference the best advice I have is buy one. Try another model on your list. With very little patience there's stellar deals on used s2, and then make the decision for yourself instead of reading opinions on the internet. Nothing beats getting to know a guitar at home through your rig. If you can't tell the differences, move it, and enjoy the se line. Heck, keep it, and still enjoy the se line. There really is no wrong choice..

I've played a lot of SEs over the years and they've never moved me personally. I got my first S2 back in april and now I have two S2s, a bolt on, and a Core and I'm obsessed with all of them. Lately, my recently acquired S2 594 has put all my other guitars in the back seat, including my core. A month or two back I tried an SE 594 and did not care for it much at all (despite the fact it had the same pickups as my S2). I will fully admit to being a bit of a snob, but my honest opinion is that the SEs, while pretty much the top of the line you can get for imports, share primarily the aesthetic of higher tier PRS. When I pick up an SE, I feel like I'm playing a Cort, not a PRS, for obvious reasons lol.

YMMV of course, and certainly aint nothing wrong with an SE!

As aamefford mentioned, S2s have the Bevel cut, which keeps costs down but is also more ergonomic. That was the main reason I upgraded. You can also buy an Abel Armrest if that kind of stuff bothers you, which I may do when I eventually go for a core. My forearms are just sensitive to sharp edges.

My S2 24-08 just felt better than my previous SE 24-08. The Pattern Thin and quality felt better than the Wide Thin for me. It also felt more substantial in all the right ways, and the tones and resonance were better. The SE was a great guitar though.

Where as individuals who own a few cores wouldn’t mind owning an SE or S2 under the right circumstances.
I/we have, um, a large handful of cores, including a couple of WLs.

I/we also have a smaller handful (but still large enough) of electric SEs. Off the top of my head: SVN, CU24-7, Holcomb 6, ZM, Akerfeldt, a couple of baritones, and the two SE basses (well, my wife has those). And three acoustics: Angelus, Tonare, and Parlor. They all play very nicely, and are of great value. But the couple of S2s I have are better, maybe because of what they are: a Reclaimed SH Vela, and a Starla.

And the cores take it up another notch with their carves, electronics, and finishes.

I/we have, um, a large handful of cores, including a couple of WLs.

I/we also have a smaller handful (but still large enough) of electric SEs. Off the top of my head: SVN, CU24-7, Holcomb 6, ZM, Akerfeldt, a couple of baritones, and the two SE basses (well, my wife has those). And three acoustics: Angelus, Tonare, and Parlor. They all play very nicely, and are of great value. But the couple of S2s I have are better, maybe because of what they are: a Reclaimed SH Vela, and a Starla.

And the cores take it up another notch with their carves, electronics, and finishes.

I have a Vela and Thinline on my purchase list because they don’t have those features in core models. I had a really cool SE that I unfortunately sold because I needed to fund some house projects.

There’s nothing wrong with any of the product lines and there’s something for everyone.

I have SE's and Cores... For me, I see no real value in going to an S2 from an SE. Only S2 I'd buy is a model that's not available in the other two levels (e.g., Vela.)

As aamefford mentioned, S2s have the Bevel cut, which keeps costs down but is also more ergonomic. That was the main reason I upgraded. You can also buy an Abel Armrest if that kind of stuff bothers you, which I may do when I eventually go for a core. My forearms are just sensitive to sharp edges.

My S2 24-08 just felt better than my previous SE 24-08. The Pattern Thin and quality felt better than the Wide Thin for me. It also felt more substantial in all the right ways, and the tones and resonance were better. The SE was a great guitar though.
Oh yeah, the pattern a patter regular necks are another good reason for the S2’s. I don’t think those are readily available on SE’s?

Thanks everyone.
Im leaning towards a vela. As stated you cant get that in SE form.
I have learned to stay away from the truly expensive guitars as I just dont play them as much.
I’d be the same way. S2’s and used for me. And maybe an SE again.

Back