SE singlecut hardware and pickups Vs SE245 ZM hardware and pickups

Oceait

Hello, I'm new here, but not to PRS. Had a really nice CE in the 90's that I lost to an unfortunate financial situation. Anyway, yesterday I bought a SE Singlecut, in Antique White, with birds (!) for a great price. Would I gain anything by swapping the hardware from a ZM SE245? There is a complete set of hardware from one available local to me. Thanks!

I know the ZM has an adjustable bridge, does your Singlecut?

Also, not sure about the pickups. Some people really like the SE245 pickups, but I don't know if yours has them or not. I guess it depends if yours is the older SE Singlecut or the newer SE245, which is also a singlecut.

If you have the 2 knob version, I would do the hardware swap. The SE 245 pickups are fantastic, IMO, and the fully adjustable bridge is nice too.

Assuming your 245 has the 4 knob layout, I would not see any advantage buying the ZM set. For all practical purposes they are the same. The adjustable bridge isn't needed IMO. The intonation in the stock bridge is great but that is my opinion, not everyone's.

My SE singlecut is the 2 knob type. Non adjustable bridge.Im guessing its good,or they would have gotten rid of it on the SE singlecut.
I like the pearloid tuner buttons in the ZM. I don't know how different the pickups are from my L s/n SE (2011?) and a brand new ZM 245. Maybe offer him 50.00-75.00 for the lot and find out?

Last edited:
I went ahead and got the parts. Ill post before and after pics when I get finished.

The SE245 ZM tuners aren't installing right, the holes are too big says my tech. I'm going to look for some buttons to replace the shiny ones with pearloid.

The SE245 ZM tuners aren't installing right, the holes are too big says my tech. I'm going to look for some buttons to replace the shiny ones with pearloid.

This makes sense. The ZM uses Kluson style tuners. The diameter is smaller than the "standard" PRS SE tuners. I know this because I've replaced a couple of sets of the Kluson style tuners with PRS tuners.

Back