SE Serial Numbers

MadVax

Gear buyer. Hoarder.
Hey SE fans, can anybody tell me what the numbers in the serial number relate to, we know the letter indicates the year of manufacture, I contacted PRS, they gave me a weak answer saying the numbers are an in house numerical system... I would be pretty sure that they mean something tho'.

Be careful - they can get a little sarcastic about their numbers. I bought a McCarty a couple years ago. I was pretty sure it was a 2008 model, but I wanted some more details, so I sent them an e-mail and asked “What do I have? It’s a McCarty, serial # 8 675308.” They replied, “Sounds like you just missed a great two tone. Could have been a hit.”

Thanks, its not only PRS that can be a bit sarcastic, I have hit that in this site too! I already know what's on the PRS site. I know the year etc. I also appreciate that the number will have some sequential and consecutive relevance. I am told its how many they have made I also get that. Is the number pertaining to a model, and consecutive for that model, or is it for all PRS SE guitars built... in that month, or year, or day or week? If I am not making the question clear enough, please ask me for more... and maybe we can get to the bottom of it! I didn't mean to start WW3 with this BTW guys!

It's all guitars (well, SEs) built. Don't overthink it. They didn't do the Gibson thing and code the factory and dates and stuff in the S/N. Just a straight count.

It's all guitars (well, SEs) built. Don't overthink it. They didn't do the Gibson thing and code the factory and dates and stuff in the S/N. Just a straight count.
OK, so they started in that factory with guitar number 0001 and off it went from there right? a consecutive number for each guitar regardless of its model, colour or whatever. So the 25th Anniversary SE K06386 is earlier than the Custom 24 N29234 so forth until they went to the new factory right? But, if this all started with A in 2000 it means they built 6386 guitars up to K 2010 and then another 22000 or so in the three years to N 2013. Thats a big leap, and part of why I don't get it. Sorry if this is frustrating for you but its the same for me! Is it just totally random? I don't believe it would be. Anyway its out there to ponder on. I wasn't looking for the Gibson thing, or a Fender logic, just something so I knew a little more than I do. Thanks AlanTig. I saw Kiss once back in the UK. It was an experience I'll grant you that!

Hey SE fans, can anybody tell me what the numbers in the serial number relate to, we know the letter indicates the year of manufacture, I contacted PRS, they gave me a weak answer saying the numbers are an in house numerical system... I would be pretty sure that they mean something tho'.
They provide the information on their site. Go to this page:

Scroll down to the SE section, find your data. While many manufacturers have a “code” built into their numbers, PRS just puts a number on it within a sequence. The number does identify the year, but not a specific guitar made on a specific day..

I think the reason you are not finding the detailed answer you are seeking is because

1. As said, there's nothing to it
2. Most of us with SEs don't care

When I was buying a ton of Cores, I'd always check MODCATs and contact PRS CS with questions. They were endlessly helpful telling me EXACTLY what I was wanting to buy before I purchased it. It was cool.

Obviously the SE guitars are the mass produced instruments. Factories have changed a few times. I can only speculate that the jump in numbers may have something to do with the factory changes and (possibly) their numbering system. With PRS moving to a dedicated factory(ies) they may be able to "tighten" the S/N system - if they really care. Each guitar is serialized and in the end that's all that matters.

It's just the letter for the Korean SE that matters. The numbers reset periodically. Here are some numbers from various years:
'11: L22800
'13: N18500
'15: P11400
'17: R29200

I think the reason you are not finding the detailed answer you are seeking is because

1. As said, there's nothing to it
2. Most of us with SEs don't care

When I was buying a ton of Cores, I'd always check MODCATs and contact PRS CS with questions. They were endlessly helpful telling me EXACTLY what I was wanting to buy before I purchased it. It was cool.

Obviously the SE guitars are the mass produced instruments. Factories have changed a few times. I can only speculate that the jump in numbers may have something to do with the factory changes and (possibly) their numbering system. With PRS moving to a dedicated factory(ies) they may be able to "tighten" the S/N system - if they really care. Each guitar is serialized and in the end that's all that matters.
Thanks Mark, I am not fixating on it too badly mate, it came up in conversation and I thought I'd getting to the bottom of the story; in the end, and like most SE owners I don't actually care, I think its odd that nobody knows, not 100% anyway. I have a couple of them, they are great guitars for the money, they are way more expensive here in NZ, we'll pay $800+ for a Korean, and the later Core-Teks are $1100+ used, and from $1500 new. My SE Hollowbody II Piezo was $3000...

UPDATE. OK I have all the info I need, thanks to those of you that didn't come across as beings from a superior race, you know who you are for sure. This all came about as a result of a simple conversation with a mate, the answer is, the numbers have no relevance, the only bit we need to worry about is the letter. I am still baffled as to why and its clear that nobody knows. Apart from that bloke in the factory that assigns them... hmm.
I'll come back if I ever get the definitive answer. I know you'll all be looking forward to that!
Here's a tip to the three guys that started getting the sh!ts with me. Don't believe everything you think. You will enjoy life much more.

Topic Closed.

Right on, man!! The Cor-Tek guitars are awesome. I recently traded my last Core for some SEs and do not regret it all. Enjoy your guitars!!

Right on, man!! The Cor-Tek guitars are awesome. I recently traded my last Core for some SEs and do not regret it all. Enjoy your guitars!!
I also recently sold my USA CE, to an awesome local guitarist, I made $500 on the deal and he still got a great guitar at a good price, I like the USA thing but I don't need it, I have a bunch of guitars, and I hardly get any time to play, SEs are so good. As is money in the bank! :)

Back