SE Mccarty or SE Paul's or SE DGT

sah22

Hi All,

I've been looking at these guitars for a year now, McCarty, Paul's, and DGT (although I can't get my hands on a DGT SE). I've given up. I'm an old fart with almost 3 years experience. I'm not that good. I like music mostly from Eagles, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, some GnR, classic rock mostly. I do like the blues feel too. I haven't bought a guitar yet because I keep thinking I will have chosen the wrong one. Please just tell me which one to get. Thanks.

McCarty Would Be My Suggestion. They Sound Great, Feel Great And Cover A Lot Of Musical Ground. That Would Be A Great Place To Start IMO.

Do you see yourself as being a single coil player or a humbucker player? Which pickup type gets you your favorite tones?

Do you like to have a vibrato on the guitar? Only the DGT has a vibrato.

Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan play Strats. If you want that kind of blues tone a SE Silver Sky will get you there...but you won't get fat humbucker tones.

The humbuckers on the DGT split into single coils and sound very good. Not exactly like a Strat but at least a good, usable tone. I've only watched videos but I liked what I saw and heard.

I'd look into a SE DGT or Silver Sky.

Last edited:
Do you see yourself as being a single coil player or a humbucker player? Which pickup type gets you your favorite tones?

Do you like to have a vibrato on the guitar? Only the DGT has a vibrato.

Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan play Strats. If you want that kind of blues tone a SE Silver Sky will get you there...but you won't get fat humbucker tones.

The humbuckers on the DGT split into single coils and sound very good. Not exactly like a Strat but at least a good, usable tone. I've only watched videos but I liked what I saw and heard.

I'd look into a SE DGT or Silver Sky.
I appreciate the response. You might be right on strat tones, but design just doesn't excite me. Maybe it's solid color. The DGT and McCarty say to me, Pick me up. I think I like humbuckers more. The mccarty also has split.

Comes down to preference really - all have a different neck carve and the McCarty is a shorter scale. Pick-ups are all different too ranging from a P90'ish to Vintage PAF to a bit more Classic HB and each has a different 'split' sound. Layout too is different but ALL will do the SAME Job - especially when you dial your rig in to get the sounds you want. Its slightly different flavours so its really going to come down to which flavour you prefer.

I'd say try them to see which neck feels more to your preference, which layout, which pickups or bridge you prefer. There is no 'wrong' guitar and unless you try them yourself, you'll always be unsure of which might be the 'right' one for you at this time. Do you want a trem or fixed bridge, shorter or 25" scale, what will suit you better?

The guitar that make you want to pick it up and keep playing is the right guitar for you regardless of whatever model of guitar it is. The rest is pretty much down to preference and/or budget so get the guitar that you 'prefer', you want to play and whatever guitar it is, it will do the job. They all have the 'same' notes so it just comes down to your preference of how it 'feels, sounds, plays and/or looks' and you can change the 'sound' easily with pedals, amps, cabs, mics, post EQ etc to get almost any 'tone' you want

Comes down to preference really - all have a different neck carve and the McCarty is a shorter scale. Pick-ups are all different too ranging from a P90'ish to Vintage PAF to a bit more Classic HB and each has a different 'split' sound. Layout too is different but ALL will do the SAME Job - especially when you dial your rig in to get the sounds you want. Its slightly different flavours so its really going to come down to which flavour you prefer.

I'd say try them to see which neck feels more to your preference, which layout, which pickups or bridge you prefer. There is no 'wrong' guitar and unless you try them yourself, you'll always be unsure of which might be the 'right' one for you at this time. Do you want a trem or fixed bridge, shorter or 25" scale, what will suit you better?

The guitar that make you want to pick it up and keep playing is the right guitar for you regardless of whatever model of guitar it is. The rest is pretty much down to preference and/or budget so get the guitar that you 'prefer', you want to play and whatever guitar it is, it will do the job. They all have the 'same' notes so it just comes down to your preference of how it 'feels, sounds, plays and/or looks' and you can change the 'sound' easily with pedals, amps, cabs, mics, post EQ etc to get almost any 'tone' you want
Thanks! I just ordered a faded blue se mccarty. There was a surprise sales price and I bit the bullet. First electric guitar!

Thanks! I just ordered a faded blue se mccarty. There was a surprise sales price and I bit the bullet. First electric guitar!
Congrats On Your First Electric Guitar! I Can't Wait To See Pictures And Hear All About It!! I Am Excited For You!!! I Hope You Enjoy The Heck Out Of It And Make A Lot Of Wonderful Music And Memories With It!!!! :)

Congrats on choosing a great guitar. Any PRS is a good choice !!!!

Don't forget to share pics with us once received.

Sorry for late response. I bought my first electric on sale end of October, but saved it for Christmas. No regrets! Seems to difficult to load pictured so I made it my bio pic.

I just got my SE DGT after a 8 month wait. Great feel to the guitar and it might possibly be the 1st set of SE pickups that will wind up staying in any of my SE PRS's. Most have Bare Knuckle or Wolfetones.
Very cool. I had been eyeing an electric for a long time. I had paralysis by analysis hence my original question. Ultimately I decided to buy the 594 for a couple reasons. As you eluded, it was available! I loved the look. Lastly, as I picked up many guitars, my skill level could not really make them differentiate much. So, I got the one I thought was the coolest. I'm not good enough at this point to know or desire to change out my SE pickups. I am a happy learner right now. Hopefully someday I'll be good enough to hear and feel differences and really know what I want.

Electronics tech for 40+ years, plus advance amateur luthier skills, allow me to do my own work. The SE 245S pickups are not bad. I notice subtle difference in my older discerning ears...LOL or maybe I just think I do...:cool:

Hi All,

I've been looking at these guitars for a year now, McCarty, Paul's, and DGT (although I can't get my hands on a DGT SE). I've given up. I'm an old fart with almost 3 years experience. I'm not that good. I like music mostly from Eagles, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, some GnR, classic rock mostly. I do like the blues feel too. I haven't bought a guitar yet because I keep thinking I will have chosen the wrong one. Please just tell me which one to get. Thanks.
Hello, I just got my new PRS DGT SE and I love it! I have been playing for 40+ years and have played Gibson Sg's Firebirds and high end Fender Strats and Telecasters to name a few of the many guitars I have owned throughout the years this DGT is a keeper and like someone mentioned the single coil sounds are very good as well. Whatever PRS you decide to get will be a great guitar for you to learn on. Cheers

Electronics tech for 40+ years, plus advance amateur luthier skills, allow me to do my own work. The SE 245S pickups are not bad. I notice subtle difference in my older discerning ears...LOL or maybe I just think I do...:cool:
I agree on the 245S pickups. I fully expected to replace them in my SE Zach Myers and my SE 245 but they sound good to my ears. Not like my Fender MIM HSS strat where I flipped the switch to the bridge humbucker and said "hell naw, this needs replaced ASAP".

Very cool. I had been eyeing an electric for a long time. I had paralysis by analysis hence my original question. Ultimately I decided to buy the 594 for a couple reasons. As you eluded, it was available! I loved the look. Lastly, as I picked up many guitars, my skill level could not really make them differentiate much. So, I got the one I thought was the coolest. I'm not good enough at this point to know or desire to change out my SE pickups. I am a happy learner right now. Hopefully someday I'll be good enough to hear and feel differences and really know what I want.
You may very well find that the pickups don’t even need to be changed. I have a few SE’s, and the last two didn’t need a pickup change at all.

Back