SE Headstock Mod - Fun times with Vinyl

FWIW now there’s an eBay seller who makes metal signature decals, ships from Russia.

Nope...Russians scare the crap outta me.

My personal favorite is around the 3:08 mark. Dude looks like just stepped off his tractor and wandered into the competition. Dude slapped the taste outta his mouth!

Last edited:
A couple months ago I cam across an old post by some dude here where he was doing a few upgrades/cosmetic alterations to his Zach Meyers SE. Something that caught my eye was he used a product called Di-Noc, which is basically a wood grain vinyl wrap, and overlaid it on the headstock. I thought it was kinda rad, and not a bad idea to try out. I found a place called RMWraps, and they sell 8X10 sample sheets of Belbien (similar to Di-Noc). Perfect for my nefarious purposes. So, went ahead and did it to the PG, and here's the result. I dig it. Plus its non damaging to the finish, so it can be removed in a cinch.

Original...
OuIFFJe.jpg

Current
ifemhyy.jpg

I love it! Now you're giving me ideas.....hahah.. I think the SE's are awesome platforms to tinker with, just always thought the headstocks looked a bit cheesy (although they've gotten a lot better over the years). Until reading your post, that always seemed like a dead end unless I really wanted to take it down to bare wood and refinish.

Wow ! If this vinyl comes in a "flamed maple top " variety .... This might be the way to get a flamed stripey top on an S2 Mc Carty Thinline !!! :)

I would not be brave enough to do it however. BUT if the artisans at PRS are listening ... Maybe they could apply (and seal the top) so that it would look killer. ! Imagine labor would be the major adder, as the material cost is probably negligible ...

Check out stickasteves.com

He's based in Canada and does whole body decals (just ordered a couple off him)

Affecting tone ??? (all sealed and thick ?) Hey Supro makes guitars outta plastic, that my man Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys) gets killa blues tone out of so ...:D

So if the Candywater guys can order a special run ??? :cool: I can see next years Toy Budget being pledged for this ...

And of course the replacement signature decals won’t include the SE part, right?

I don’t really understand the ‘SE shame’ tbh. I mean, not least because they are good instruments, but also because anyone who knows anything about PRS will spot it immediately and anyone who doesn’t won’t care anyway?!

But, as a product that wrap looks amazing!

And of course the replacement signature decals won’t include the SE part, right?

I don’t really understand the ‘SE shame’ tbh. I mean, not least because they are good instruments, but also because anyone who knows anything about PRS will spot it immediately and anyone who doesn’t won’t care anyway?!

But, as a product that wrap looks amazing!
Nope, if I ever replace the sig decal, the SE part goes bye-bye. I dont mind it honestly, just nobody I've seen has a new SE logo decal. On that note, theres only a few people I've met that outright throw shade on SE's. Personally I don't see the problem, and those people...well, a dragon will always take some time to light up a peasant if they're asking for it.

I'm glad the headstock has evolved from the ginormous SE logo to something more proper. I think PRS needed the time to finally come around to feeling at ease with accepting SE guitars as members of the family, so to speak. Those early Santanas from like 2001 are so far removed from what we have now. It wont be long before we have an SE that has the full violin carve, which is pretty much all that's left to aesthetically being the same.

Mighty handsome. I had another approach in mind, but so far the tree of fulfillment she bear no fruit. We'll see. There's really no deadline, I guess.

That's where I got mine from, Under $20 each with shipping.

They measure 55mm x 22mm with gold or silver to chose from
Bringing this up again due a small issue just occurring…… aside from the adhesive that comes o the decal,… is there a way to make it more permanent?
My issue is the edges…..I can see that some points on the edges, it’s starts to lift up as if the adhesive is drying out. Instead of doing a full headstock paint stripping: removing the flat black “SE-Logo”,…..I’d like to see if I can make what I’ve done so far rather permanent.
Any ideas…..??

Bringing this up again due a small issue just occurring…… aside from the adhesive that comes o the decal,… is there a way to make it more permanent?
My issue is the edges…..I can see that some points on the edges, it’s starts to lift up as if the adhesive is drying out. Instead of doing a full headstock paint stripping: removing the flat black “SE-Logo”,…..I’d like to see if I can make what I’ve done so far rather permanent.
Any ideas…..??
I dunno. I have the same issue, but I use a school glue stick to tack the lifting corners back down. I do still want my mod to be removable, just in case. I couldn't say what you could do to make it permanent other than using a cyanoacrylate type glue to permanently bond the vinyl to the headstock.

I dunno. I have the same issue, but I use a school glue stick to tack the lifting corners back down. I do still want my mod to be removable, just in case. I couldn't say what you could do to make it permanent other than using a cyanoacrylate type glue to permanently bond the vinyl to the headstock.
I agree. Maybe a spray adhesive?

Back