SE HB2P Fretting out ... on one string, one fret.

Hotspur

So this is an interesting one.

The 17th fret on my high E string frets out on just past a half-step bend. The note loses almost all of its volume and sounds almost like it jumps up a whole step. There's a very discrete change where the note is bending up smoothly and then suddenly volume drops and the pitch jumps up about a whole step.

It sounds like the note it jumps to is a like a quarter-tone bend up from the 19th fret.

Doesn't happen on the 18th fret. Doesn't happen on the 16th fret. Doesn't happen on the B string. Just that one fret, that one string.

What might be causing this? I know I could probably address it by raising the action slightly, which I don't want to do. (I'd actually rather lower the action on the high e side slightly, but I know that will make this worse). Anything else I can do here? I've hit the limit of my knowledge of guitar set-up.

It may be fretting out onto a higher fret. Sounds like a good set up is in order.

If you are first owner and purchase from a dealer, see if they are willing to do a set up for free or reduced rate as you bought the guitar from them. If not a trusted luthier.

I would mind doing the work myself if I knew what was causing the problem or how to fix it.

I had that happen on a different guitar. Try changing the strings, it fixed my issue, amazingly! A Luthier made that recommendation to me!

Back