SE Custom 24 Pick-Up adjustment question

bluesman13

Hello,

I just purchased this guitar, and saw this on the PRS website (in reference to pu adjustment):
"The pickups on your new instrument are fully adjustable by turning the height adjustment screws at each end of the pickup. With the high and low E strings (E and G strings for the Electric Bass) depressed at the last fret the measurement should about 2.5/32 (5/64”) on the treble side and about 3/32” on the bass side of both pickups. You may season to taste if you wish."

When I am measured the distance of the pickup from the string, is it from the pole piece to the string, or the distance from the plastic pickup holder to the string?

thanks!

ok, when I fret the high E at the last fret and then measure the neck pickup, the first coil fo the neck humbucker measures 2.5/32, and second coil of the neck pickup measures 3.5/32. Is that correct?

ok, when I fret the high E at the last fret and then measure the neck pickup, the first coil fo the neck humbucker measures 2.5/32, and second coil of the neck pickup measures 3.5/32. Is that correct?

Sounds like it's close, and a good starting point. Really, you want to adjust with your ears to find the right pickup height. You can raise and lower the whole pickup to adjust overall output, and raise and lower each side individually if you find the balance of high strings vs low to be a little off. I usually prefer to raise the pole pieces to match the string radius too, to get more from those middle strings. Play with your pickups, you'll find you can change the tone to fit what you want.

The closer the pickup is to the string, the more effect the magnetic field has on the string, this can have a choking effect on the natural oscillation of the string.

As the guys have said. Think of PU height as a condiment, add to your taste!

Back